"SandSeal" plug idea

Owl Engineering

Forum Supporter
As most who have been water hunting for over a month know, when sand gets into your handle the lower shaft can freeze with little chance of seperating it.

I have made a plug which does a pretty good job of solving this problem. You push the plug into the end of your handle past the holes (you may want to put a drop of veg. oil on the OD). Insert your lower shaft and cover the holes and joint with black electrical tape. If at a later date you want to remove the SandSeal, the one end is tapped 1/4-20 so you can thread a threaded rod into it and pull it out.

Chuck

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 286
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 256
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 252
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 254
Cool idea but to late to save my poor CF shafts. They are welded solid.

As most who have been water hunting for over a month know, when sand gets into your handle the lower shaft can freeze with little chance of seperating it.

I have made a plug which does a pretty good job of solving this problem. You push the plug into the end of your handle past the holes (you may want to put a drop of veg. oil on the OD). Insert your lower shaft and cover the holes and joint with black electrical tape. If at a later date you want to remove the SandSeal, the one end is tapped 1/4-20 so you can thread a threaded rod into it and pull it out.

Chuck

Wow thanks! This happened to me in Cancun! I am lucky I was able to free it!

But on the bright side...... a locked lower shaft keeps the wear down on those locks.:laughing:

I also drill a hole just about the coil connector on the lower shaft big enough to allow water and sand to move and come out as i leave the water. Not sure all the sand would get out with your devices small hole..... this would help with that as well.

Back
Top Bottom