Getting around on the beach... Quickly!

Digsalot

Forum Supporter
Hi Folks,
Haven't posted in awhile. Been busy trying to survive having a manager ( who was suppose to allow me to at least semi-retire) get on Meth and damn near destroy my business.:gaah:
I've been working on building my new beach transportation for awhile now. I had built one with regular tires, but it didn't do to well when the tide came in and I was forced to ride in the softer sand. The additional drag from the soft sand would overheat the controller and motor, along with draining the battery down. I was left stranded once because of this and had to call the wife to come get me.:roll:
So, as I am pushing my bike through the soft sand, a guy on a fat tire bike cruises on by like he was on pavement.:wow:
Didn't take but a second to figure out that it was time for a new build.
The bike is aluminum frame. I installed a 48V 1200W motor on it. I put two batteries on it, one 30AH and one 20AH. That gives me a 40+ mile range and it will do 30+ mph on the hard pack sand.
It still has some drag in the soft sand but nothing like the other bike with the smaller tires. I install a cooling fan with a thermostat to help keep the controller from overheating. I stuck some blue LED effects lighting under the rear fender just for fun.
I've heard a few people say, as I'm going by, hey look its the Google Earth guy:laughing:
I was originally inspired to build my first bike by Larry (itsaring). I saw the one he built and said, I gotta have one of those:D
Thanks for looking and HH
Ben

Attachments

• Beach-Bike_edited-1.jpg
    Beach-Bike_edited-1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_0697r.jpg
    IMG_0697r.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 519
  • Under-the-hood.jpg
    Under-the-hood.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Air-Intake.jpg
    Air-Intake.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 491
  • LED-effects,-fender-lights.jpg
    LED-effects,-fender-lights.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 485
  • Hanna Park Sunset.jpg
    Hanna Park Sunset.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 483
Very nice! Any idea where to find a good 48volt controller. Blew mine and the replacement also blew. Down to 4 ebikes for now:lol:

Also I once had a Boss over me hooked on the white stuff. He was dangerous to be around. Even his rear view mirror was white. Told the owner one day and he basically told me to mind my own business. Then he was driving with his wife on a weekend and passed all his heavy equipment working a sidejob. He figured out why his fuel bill was so high. And also how high the guy was and tried sending him to rehab. best to count your losses and part ways with that. Fox in the hen house.

wow that is one slick setup!

Yeah he is giving me the urge to upgrade. Luckily I time lowtide and put in a couple miles or less from where im heading. Found a custom plat ring with nice diamonds and two gold on one of my last bike rides:shock::lol:

Very nice! Any idea where to find a good 48volt controller. Blew mine and the replacement also blew. Down to 4 ebikes for now:lol:

Hey Larry,
Can't say that I know any controllers that are better than others. I have a feeling that all of them come from China. I think its the luck of the draw on finding one that's better than the other.
Your not blowing the controllers by trying to do burnouts are you?:lol::scooter:

I love the cooling feature! We've had trouble with ours overheating :) NICE NICE NICE!!!

Man! Thats the ticket right there! Nice! I read an article once about Human Beans, in relation to our ability as a biped to cover ground...said on foot, we are about as efficient as a box turtle....we are just not built for it!

Then it went on to say, 'You put a Human Bean on a bicycle though, and they have the range of a Condor!' So yeah..Ebikes!...bigly interested for one as a hunting vehicle..Thanks for the pics and post!

Your not blowing the controllers by trying to do burnouts are you?:lol::scooter:

Nah I hit the dry sand youll be cruising through to avoid hitting people. After a couple times the controller couldn't take it. I blew a controller on my Ford bike in two seconds on a test run:shock: You ever run across an old ford think bike steer clear. Got a mid drive motor just like a car starter and no parts exist:shock:

YES YES YES, I have been wanting a setup like that for going into the woods and old home sites that don't have good parking nearby. Brilliant.

That's awesome! :dingding: Now I know what to do when I retire and want to get to any beach to avoid tolls and parking charges. The only negative that I see is that if I leave that anywhere down around here I'll need an Uber to get back home because it'll be stolen. :( Well, there's another negative as well, people drive like lunatics here! :mad:

Now while you are detecting if you had a fold out solar screen you could start recharging the battery as you rip all of that gold out of the sand. :D

Is there any restrictions for taking this on the beach?

Ray

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
Haven't posted in awhile. Been busy trying to survive having a manager ( who was suppose to allow me to at least semi-retire) get on Meth and damn near destroy my business.:gaah:
I've been working on building my new beach transportation for awhile now. I had built one with regular tires, but it didn't do to well when the tide came in and I was forced to ride in the softer sand. The additional drag from the soft sand would overheat the controller and motor, along with draining the battery down. I was left stranded once because of this and had to call the wife to come get me.:roll:
So, as I am pushing my bike through the soft sand, a guy on a fat tire bike cruises on by like he was on pavement.:wow:
Didn't take but a second to figure out that it was time for a new build.
The bike is aluminum frame. I installed a 48V 1200W motor on it. I put two batteries on it, one 30AH and one 20AH. That gives me a 40+ mile range and it will do 30+ mph on the hard pack sand.
It still has some drag in the soft sand but nothing like the other bike with the smaller tires. I install a cooling fan with a thermostat to help keep the controller from overheating. I stuck some blue LED effects lighting under the rear fender just for fun.
I've heard a few people say, as I'm going by, hey look its the Google Earth guy:laughing:
I was originally inspired to build my first bike by Larry (itsaring). I saw the one he built and said, I gotta have one of those:D
Thanks for looking and HH
Ben

Very cool. Nice job!!

That thing is awesome. Do they make electric superchargers for those :laughing: You can never have enough power.

Back
Top Bottom