• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Just realized how out of shape I am.

After Bariatric surgery I got back under 200 pounds. But now have about 20 pounds to go. I use my fitbit to monitor my heart rate and steps. Doc suggest a 1700 calorie 75 carbs a day diet. No sugar.

That's great !!!!

Sometimes I hit a "plateau" and might not lose any weight for a while, but that's fine, as long as I'm not gaining any !
I find that if I stick with it eventually I'll budge off the "plateau" and lose some more.

.....and I need to edit my previous post to add "always check with your doctor before starting any strenuous exercise program or drastic weight loss diet to be sure you don't overdo anything as far as your specific health condition"

Its called a stall when you stop loosing.

Believe it or not, when you are not loosing pounds you are loosing inches. Just increase protein and exercise to get the weight coming back off.

Believe it or not, when you are not loosing pounds you are loosing inches. Just increase protein and exercise to get the weight coming back off.

Good point !!!!

Also sometimes when you're building up your muscles you have to take into account the extra weight from more muscle, which is good weight as compared to weight from fat.

So I decided to go re-hunt one of my older sites that I used to detect a couple of decades ago. The place is a wooded area on the side of a hill.. When I was in my 20s I'd spend hours detecting there with a big heavy White's 5900 Di Pro and not even get winded. Today after hunting for a whopping 45 minutes I was out of breath with every bone in my body aching. Had to call it quits. The sad part is the hill isn't even all that steep and I was swinging the 2 lb Deus. :laughing:

Anyway, no real point to this thread other than to tell you younger guys to enjoy it while you can. Detecting ain't always easy when you're old and fat. :lol:

LOL. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Good Work Gentlemen! yeah, If we knew we were gonna last this long, we woulda taken better care of ourselves!:laughing:

Just in daily travels, I see a huge amount of really young people not half our age all broken down and crippled up...They didnt even get 5 good years out of their bodies before they were finished...So hey, I guess in comparison, we are not doing too bad!:?: This Sport does keep a guy in some sort of shape...

Definitely get yourself in good shape now while you're still in your 50's and it will be easier to maintain it when you get older.

I'm 64 now, but back right before I turned 50 I used to be about 360 lbs, thing is, I didn't feel like I was overeating, so I started reading the calorie/fat labels on food packages when at the grocery store and saw that I was eating high calorie/high fat foods. So when I turned 50 I started eating lower calorie/lower fat foods, (helping me have a big reduction in daily calories eaten) baked or broiled food instead of frying, cut way back on sugar, and gradually built up to 2 miles of a fast walk on the treadmill 3 times a day for a total of 6 miles a day. Results: I went from 360 to 180 in 7 months without pills or surgery, just doing the above. Now a few years later I started splurging too often and I gradually gained some of that back, and need to lose some weight again, but nothing like the weight I had to lose back then. I've been trying to get back to regular exercise again with an elliptical machine and lifting weights. The months I had to take to recuperate from hernia surgery a few years ago got me out of my routine that kept me in better shape.

EDITED to add:

"always check with your doctor before starting any strenuous exercise program or drastic weight loss diet to be sure you don't overdo anything as far as your specific health condition"

WOW, that's Great

Definitely get yourself in good shape now while you're still in your 50's and it will be easier to maintain it when you get older.

I'm 64 now, but back right before I turned 50 I used to be about 360 lbs, thing is, I didn't feel like I was overeating, so I started reading the calorie/fat labels on food packages when at the grocery store and saw that I was eating high calorie/high fat foods. So when I turned 50 I started eating lower calorie/lower fat foods, (helping me have a big reduction in daily calories eaten) baked or broiled food instead of frying, cut way back on sugar, and gradually built up to 2 miles of a fast walk on the treadmill 3 times a day for a total of 6 miles a day. Results: I went from 360 to 180 in 7 months without pills or surgery, just doing the above. Now a few years later I started splurging too often and I gradually gained some of that back, and need to lose some weight again, but nothing like the weight I had to lose back then. I've been trying to get back to regular exercise again with an elliptical machine and lifting weights. The months I had to take to recuperate from hernia surgery a few years ago got me out of my routine that kept me in better shape.

EDITED to add:

"always check with your doctor before starting any strenuous exercise program or drastic weight loss diet to be sure you don't overdo anything as far as your specific health condition"

WOW, that's Great! I'm only 54 and have always been thin and muscular. However I had to have an aortic valve replacement when I was 49. That knocked me for a loop for about 6 months. Now I take a very brisk walk of about a mile on trail near where I drop my kids off for school. The thing about this walk is that there are four benches along the way and do a set of anywhere from 10-25 pushups on each bench while I'm on my walk. I've noticed a lot less aches and pains if I keep up this regiment than if I just work. I do work as a handlyman/carpenter so I'm not exactly sedentary at my job, but the exercise makes all the difference.

I, too, feel your pain. I was out last week and sore for two days. Funny, five years ago I broke my leg and was laid up for nine months. The best thing for me was walking, which I find boring ... unless I have a detector in my hand. It worked great and got me back into shape. So last summer I fell, and was sore and hurting for months. Only got out 12 times. Found out (the hard way) that since I take blood thinners I was bleeding internally for months. Well, in Nov., The main artery to my liver burst. (Hepatic artery pseudo-aneurism). Ambulance, emergency surgery and laid up again. But detecting is a good way to strengthen your legs, so here I go, back to square one. At 65 years old, it seems like parts of me are wearing out. Shame we all don't come with a warranty as good as Garrett"s! :lol:

Lol, old guys complaining about being old. :laughing:

Next they'll be saying, "Hey, get off my grass!" :oldguy:

:sneaking:

The best you can do is hope you make it into the club, sorry to say a lot never do ! :grin: The sad part is now that I know what I should have done , there is no do overs ! My biggest lesson learned is how to be a married man , without being a husband . :cool: HH

WOW, that's Great! I'm only 54 and have always been thin and muscular. However I had to have an aortic valve replacement when I was 49. That knocked me for a loop for about 6 months. Now I take a very brisk walk of about a mile on trail near where I drop my kids off for school. The thing about this walk is that there are four benches along the way and do a set of anywhere from 10-25 pushups on each bench while I'm on my walk. I've noticed a lot less aches and pains if I keep up this regiment than if I just work. I do work as a handlyman/carpenter so I'm not exactly sedentary at my job, but the exercise makes all the difference.

Hey, that is fantastic after having such major surgery !

Keep up the exercise routine, as it is much easier to maintain an exercise routine than it is to get one started :lol:

hey, good for you, GKL! Kudos. Most folks just give up and blame genes.

Thanks, my doctor back then said I was the first patient they ever had where they had to tell them "don't lose any more weight, you're good now !" :lol:

Most of the battle was in the mind as I had tried unsuccessfully several times before I turned 50 to lose weight. When I turned 50 I figured I needed to lose weight then while it would be easier to exercise. I simply made up my mind that I was not going to give up until the weight was off !

A very effective extra motivation back then was when I told my wife I was determined to lose ALL the weight I needed to lose, and she, knowing how I previously had been unsuccessful, jokingly said "Yeah, right !" ......THAT made me extra determined :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks, my doctor back then said I was the first patient they ever had where they had to tell them "don't lose any more weight, you're good now !" :lol:

Most of the battle was in the mind as I had tried unsuccessfully several times before I turned 50 to lose weight. When I turned 50 I figured I needed to lose weight then while it would be easier to exercise. I simply made up my mind that I was not going to give up until the weight was off !

A very effective extra motivation back then was when I told my wife I was determined to lose ALL the weight I needed to lose, and she, knowing how I previously had been unsuccessful, jokingly said "Yeah, right !" ......THAT made me extra determined :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Found some old before/after photos, before = 360lbs after = 180lbs
.....before is from soon after I turned 50, after is 7 months later
(these photos are from about 14 years ago)
360_to_180.jpg180lbs.jpg

The best you can do is hope you make it into the club, sorry to say a lot never do ! :grin: The sad part is now that I know what I should have done , there is no do overs ! My biggest lesson learned is how to be a married man , without being a husband . :cool: HH

My job is pretty physical and keeps me in shape luckily, but I've seen too many guys that retire keel over within 3 years from not keeping up the pace their body was used to for the last 30+ years they've worked. I've worked too long and too hard not to enjoy retirement, and it's comforting to know metal detecting can help keep that fitness up in the "golden years"! That and a ton of golf walking out the course sounds good to me. But you're right, I hope I do make it there to enjoy it. Older guys are heroes and role models for me, because I hope to get there one day and the wisdom it took to make it there has been earned!

I am 54 years old and run several marathons a year as well as numerous triathlons. I am not bragging, I am thankful that I can. My father died of a massive heart attack at 54 and I swore that I was not going to follow in his footsteps in that aspect. This July I will be doing an Ironman race consisting of a 2.4 mile open water swim, 112 mile bike ride through the mountains followed by a 26.2 mile marathon run through the same mountains. You must finish in 17 hours or under. If you finish at 17:01 no metal and no finish. THis race truly test the limits of what kind of punishment a persons mind and body can take.
I can detect 12 hours a day for days and days. The better shape you are in the more you can really enjoy life.

Celebrated 22 years since my 5 way coronary bypass on Feb 6.(go big or go home) Can't swing for too long but I do enjoy beach digs. Good luck and health to all

Back
Top Bottom