Lesche Digger Grip Replacement ? PROBLEM SOLVED !!

Reef Runner

Forum Supporter
Has anyone replaced the grip on their Lesche (hand) Digger. I was wondering if one of those thicker motorcycle type grips, with a little more padding might work? If anyone has done this, I'd love to see some pics of your modification, and know the exact dimensions for the grip, I need to get. I haven't removed my old slick grip yet, but it looks like the metal handle on the Lesche, might be 1" OD and about 4.5" long...

Any suggestions and pics would be welcome...:yes:

Last edited:
I put a motorcycle sponge type grip on mine several years back and it is now worn but still very functional.

I went to a bike shop for mine, just asked a couple questions and the owner brought out a box of take offs. I was surprised people would trade them out so quickly. Got a pair(2 diggers) of BMX style grips for 5.00.

I went to Home Depot got me two 1"PVC end caps .. Drilled the end cap so it fit nicely on the end and drilled two hole on each side of the cap and pop rivited the cap in place .. cut off the part of the rubber that so it fit better .. the end cap is rounded and felt a lot better on the palm of the hand while pushing it into the dirt

I went to Home Depot got me two 1"PVC end caps .. Drilled the end cap so it fit nicely on the end and drilled two hole on each side of the cap and pop rivited the cap in place .. cut off the part of the rubber that so it fit better .. the end cap is rounded and felt a lot better on the palm of the hand while pushing it into the dirt

No, I want to change the whole grip, not just the butt-end, but thanks for the suggestion.

ourygrips.jpg

I use an oury bicycle grip on my lesche. Cut the original grip off with a box cutter. Then spray some hair spray on the metal handle and inside the grip, which will help it slide on easily.

ourygrips.jpg

I use an oury bicycle grip on my lesche. Cut the original grip off with a box cutter. Then spray some hair spray on the metal handle and inside the grip, which will help it slide on easily.

Most of those replacement grips have a small hole in the grip end and if you start the grip on to the handle and then use an air nozzle with slight pressure into that small hole, the grip will slide on very easy. The fellow at the bike shop told about that trick. no lube is necessary.

Just Google oury bicycle grips. I bought mine in a bike store but they are available at many online stores.

These actually don't have a small hole on the end. So the easiest way to get them on is with hair spray. Once on, the hair spray soon drys and the grip wont move.

Most of those replacement grips have a small hole in the grip end and if you start the grip on to the handle and then use an air nozzle with slight pressure into that small hole, the grip will slide on very easy. The fellow at the bike shop told about that trick. no lube is necessary.

The good thing about hair spray is that it acts as a lube to install, and it's like glue once the grip is in place. YMMV.

That is so cool. I just went out in my garage (I have an air compressor) and removed the grip from my Lesche in 1 second. I don't have my replacement grip yet, but I just had to try that trick with the air hose. Grip came right off, amazing, and you know how tight they appear to be. Put it right back on the same way - 1 second off - 1 second on. You just learn something new everyday ! :lol::lol::lol:

Though not a Lesche, I "fixed" the grip on my Garrett digger as it was sliding around. I took it off and heated the metal handle portion with a heat gun then applied a liberal amount of hot glue. Slide the handle back on and it's good to go. I also added a clad quarter in the end of the rubber grip to keep the metal from cutting through the rubber. Fit perfectly.

Though not a Lesche, I "fixed" the grip on my Garrett digger as it was sliding around. I took it off and heated the metal handle portion with a heat gun then applied a liberal amount of hot glue. Slide the handle back on and it's good to go. I also added a clad quarter in the end of the rubber grip to keep the metal from cutting through the rubber. Fit perfectly.

Seems like a good solution.

Another way to repair, if you got a loose grip, is to pull it off, squirt in a couple of globs of silicone sealant, maybe smear it around a little inside the grip with your finger, then put the grip back on the digger, or whatever. Wipe any excess sealant from your finger, the grip, or where ever, with a wet rag. Allow digger to set overnight so sealant cures and it should be ready to go.

Seems like a good solution.

Another way to repair, if you got a loose grip, is to pull it off, squirt in a couple of globs of silicone sealant, maybe smear it around a little inside the grip with your finger, then put the grip back on the digger, or whatever. Wipe any excess sealant from your finger, the grip, or where ever, with a wet rag. Allow digger to set overnight so sealant cures and it should be ready to go.

I tried the silicone on another digger and it didn't bind to the plastic grip well. I had to redo it with hot glue. I may not have gotten the inside of the grip clean enough. Also, I only heat the metal up with the heat gun enough to keep the hot glue from tacking up too quickly while I slide the handle back on. You would think these companies would use a little better glue. Or more of it!

I tried the silicone on another digger and it didn't bind to the plastic grip well. I had to redo it with hot glue. I may not have gotten the inside of the grip clean enough. Also, I only heat the metal up with the heat gun enough to keep the hot glue from tacking up too quickly while I slide the handle back on. You would think these companies would use a little better glue. Or more of it!

They probably don't use any glue. There was none in the Lesche grip.....

Hey Icansmellgold, Thanks for the suggestion. Worked like a champ! I did use rubbing alcohol for application. Damn this thing feels better......:yes: Happy, happy !

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

Glad it worked out! I've been using mine (also orange) for years. Ive worn the lesche blade down about 0.5", but the grip is still working great!

Back
Top Bottom