A couple of coins and relics from Oz

sandgroper

Elite Member
Haven’t been out much lately, but here some of my better finds from my past two hunts. First hunt (6th Jan) was at an old park where I’ve done well in the past. Again, no silvers this time but I did manage two pennies (1913, 1952), a British halfpenny (1908), a badge from WW2 which was given to all Australians who returned from fighting (it’s got ‘Returned From Active Service” written on it), a British Royal Navy uniform button and about $15 in change.

The other finds are from yesterday (10th Jan). I found a large strip of land where once 29 old houses stood (that’s a lot of ground to cover!). First coin for the day was a 1910 British penny, followed by a lot of junk (I dug about 10lbs of rubbish that day, most of which copper, brass and lead). Someone else had already been hunting here because I saw their holes and the rubbish beside them, but that wasn’t going to deter me. They missed quite a few things, including a shilling, penny and halfpenny so obviously they didn’t do a good job at hunting the site. After three hours, I decided to go a nearby park along the Swan River to look for some clad coins. Didn’t do too well there, ($7), but I did find a decent coin spill, so I went back to the old homesites for a few more hours. Within five minutes of returning I found $7 in someone’s old driveway, followed by a 1925 sixpence (.925) and a 1916 British sixpence.

Other interesting finds included an Australian shoulder flash from WW1 (worn by a soldier). I didn’t know these things existed until a few days ago, and ever since I’ve been wanting to find one! :lol: I also found an old badge (also from WW1) which reads “Junior Red Cross”, a couple old toy cars and a whole pile of other unknown things. Hunting this site wasn’t particular enjoyable because it’s right next to a major road (I had a very large audience) and I found out that it’s a popular route for trucks and ambulances. :lol:

The weather for the next few days isn’t looking too good, we’re in for some rain from an ex-tropical cyclone but hopefully the ground will get a little easier to dig in.

Attachments

• 6th.jpg
    6th.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 546
  • 6th2.jpg
    6th2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 557
  • 6th3.jpg
    6th3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 550
  • 6th4.jpg
    6th4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_2134.jpg
    IMG_2134.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 553
You've been a busy little beaver! Those are some impressive finds and you put in a lot of hard work in to unearth them. Nice Going!

beephead

Good job. Cool and interesting finds. I enjoy seeing coins and relics from other places. I hope to visit AU again someday!

Great post sandgroper ! My brother lives over there and I just salivate at the chance to hunt some of that Aussie history.
Congrats on that new honey hole and I'd pick up a spare diggin Pouch to hand to that bloke who is leaving his trash behind .
Happy hunting .
Dew

Great post sandgroper ! My brother lives over there and I just salivate at the chance to hunt some of that Aussie history.
Congrats on that new honey hole and I'd pick up a spare diggin Pouch to hand to that bloke who is leaving his trash behind .
Happy hunting .
Dew

Thanks Dew! He left a lot of copper and brass behind which I happily took! :)

Back
Top Bottom