• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Why Spoons???

TNTGross

Elite Member
So I was hunting a permission today. A 5-acre woods on the intercoastal. I wasn't expecting to find much. The area has only ever been woods as far as I know. But, to my surprise, I did find a few things. A 1918 wheat penny, two shotgun shell primer cases, and a long bent sugar spoon.

This got me to thinking, why are spoons such common finds? So far I have found 4 spoons.... I have never found a fork. Nor a butter knife. I could use a nice pair of tongs. What's with the spoons? Your thoughts on the spoon conspiracy would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 030719 Hunt (2).jpg
    030719 Hunt (2).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 506
Three possible possible reasons in my mind..more foods can be eaten with a spoon than a fork..its versatile...kids can use a spoon easier than a fork..and a spoon makes a better digging tool for a little boy who smuggles one out of the house..

Three possible possible reasons in my mind..more foods can be eaten with a spoon than a fork..its versatile...kids can use a spoon easier than a fork..and a spoon makes a better digging tool for a little boy who smuggles one out of the house..

Yes. Kids bring them out to dig in the dirt.....:yes:

So far I have found 4 spoons.... I have never found a fork. Nor a butter knife. I could use a nice pair of tongs. What's with the spoons? Your thoughts on the spoon conspiracy would be appreciated.

A few weeks ago I was hunting in the woods near a creek. I found a spoon, and then my next target a few feet away was a fork. I laughed to myself that all I needed was a knife. My next target a few more feet away was a butter knife. None of them matched.

Another possibility, would be, that at a picnic either large or small, more spoons would have been there used for serving purposes

Most things you usually eat with a fork can be eaten with a spoon. And.... if you're a kid wanting to dig in the dirt, you'd never choose a fork!

It was the needle and the spoon
And a trip to the moon

You can't shoot smack with a fork. You can huff black tar heroin with a pair of knives. I bet a good portion of urban area spoons are from drug use.

I find spoons all the time on the beach...its so common that I think every hunt nearly yields one. Most of the time I think its kids that use them but people have to bring them down in the first place so I would think its more common in picnics and stuff like that.

Yes. Kids bring them out to dig in the dirt.....:yes:

Yep, agree. When I got my first detector, the first place I tried was the old house I grew up in. Found a couple stainless spoons in the back yard, which brought back vague memories of digging holes with them when I was a kid (in addition to smashing carrots from the garden with old railroad ties...). First silver half dollar I found had a spoon buried with it; had to have been a kid burying it... I have a feeling a lot of the cool stuff like "pocket spills" we find can be the result of kids burying stuff.....

Back
Top Bottom