• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Odd bird-looking thing...19th century?

Laramie

Hello, new here. I did not dig this...but I bought it from someone who digs just because I loved the design and I may use it in a "found" art project. I know it came from somewhere in TN that had a big antebellum house on it and turned up a lot of CW stuff. Possibly CW era...but what on earth is it? There is some silver gilt remaining but nothing on the back that looks like a pin or fastener or anything. I’d love to get some opinions on what it is. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 324
Most likely a brooch.
It may have even been stitched onto the clothing.
Think "Ugly Christmas sweater":lol:

I love that idea! I kinda want this to be ugly Christmas sweater material now...I can see two of these flanking a giant Santa so large it could double as a toilet seat cover...:laughing:

I had someone tell me it looks Victorian (and it sure is heavy), but with these stylized things it's just so hard to tell. All I know is that it's going to make some great found art...or I'll stitch it to a sweater in December!

I've never heard of a sewing bird, so I googled it - that's fascinating. I thought they were more three-dimensional than this one, but maybe it's missing the other half or the clamp part or something, if that's indeed what it is.

Looks like a Victorian bird brooch...here's a silver one I found on the beach last year Your bird I think is a little newer, 1930's or so...

I can't see the Victorian bird brooch you found. Am I missing something in my settings (I'm new!), or did it not post? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom