Worn out old Lady , Ah yes !

Soil Surgeon

Forum Supporter
I hunted my next door neighbors for about an hour tonight . Hit the two
lawns (weedpatches like mine ) nothing. Hit the third smaller lawn and things started happening .2 clad dimes , 2 wheats , 1 memorial ,1 car wash token and the best of all a very worn 1900 Morgan ( at first mistakenly identified as an 1880) .It hit a solid 37 on the Nox . This is my second Silver Dollar ( both Morgans ) of my metal detecting career . I was going to post what I had found for this year ( not so great) but I will post the other stuff at a later date . I just washed this with dishwater detergent and I will clean it no further as it is already worn enough . Needless to say this coin has made my year .Prior to this my only other coins of note were a dateless, worn Buffalo Nickel , 2 Rosies 1947+1957 and about a half a dozen common date wheats . A very exciting evening for me indeed !
Sorry the pictures didn't come out too cool , I never got around to buying a newer , more forgiving camera .

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
WOW, super congrats on the 1880 Morgan silver dollar !!!! :thumbsup:

......worn or not that is still a super find !!!!

:stars: :whoohoo:

......and extra neat that it was right next door !!!!

I have yet to find any coin larger than a quarter, and the Merc is my only silver coin (so far) but I'm looking forward to some hopefully better hunts this year !

WOW, super congrats on the 1880 Morgan silver dollar !!!! :thumbsup:

......worn or not that is still a super find !!!!

:stars: :whoohoo:

......and extra neat that it was right next door !!!!

I have yet to find any coin larger than a quarter, and the Merc is my only silver coin (so far) but I'm looking forward to some hopefully better hunts this year !

Thanks Gary ! Like they say "you never know what your next dig is going to be " .All these coins were within 8 feet of each other and what's weird is I have hunted this property a lot over the years and gotten a few Mercs and Rosies out of it but nothing silver in at least 6 or 7 years .Possibly the recent rains did their magic . :?:

Thanks Gary ! Like they say "you never know what your next dig is going to be " .All these coins were within 8 feet of each other and what's weird is I have hunted this property a lot over the years and gotten a few Mercs and Rosies out of it but nothing silver in at least 6 or 7 years .Possibly the recent rains did their magic . :?:

It is my understanding that moist ground tends to improve detecting sensitivity from the ground being more conductive.

When I dug a Merc last year in a public park (that I found out has been hunted a lot over the years) it surprised me, but that Merc could have gotten missed as it was pretty deep, but the ground was pretty moist when I dug the signal.
Also there was another target in the same area, trash, so that could have masked the Merc and kept others from finding that Merc all those years before.

Great detecting trip

I hunted my next door neighbors for about an hour tonight . Hit the two
lawns (weedpatches like mine ) nothing. Hit the third smaller lawn and things started happening .2 clad dimes , 2 wheats , 1 memorial ,1 car wash token and the best of all a very worn 1880 Morgan .It hit a solid 37 on the Nox . This is my second Silver Dollar ( both Morgans ) of my metal detecting career . I was going to post what I had found for this year ( not so great) but I will post the other stuff at a later date . I just washed this with dishwater detergent and I will clean it no further as it is already worn enough . Needless to say this coin has made my year .Prior to this my only other coins of note were a dateless, worn Buffalo Nickel , 2 Rosies 1947+1957 and about a half a dozen common date wheats . A very exciting evening for me indeed !
Sorry the pictures didn't come out to cool , I never got around to buying a newer , more forgiving camera .

Great finds there , would love to find one of the old silver dollars .

Thanks Gary I mighty just get one .

Maybe more, but I am pretty sure there are at least 2 other forum members who have that USB microscope and seemed pleased with it also.

It plugs into a USB port on your computer and a free software app is used to access it, you can take either still pictures or video clips with the microscope and they are saved in a folder on your computer's hard drive.

Maybe more, but I am pretty sure there are at least 2 other forum members who have that USB microscope and seemed pleased with it also.

It plugs into a USB port on your computer and a free software app is used to access it, you can take either still pictures or video clips with the microscope and they are saved in a folder on your computer's hard drive.

I ordered one , it was really needed . It took me forever just to get those shots I did . Thanks for the link Gary .

That’s one way to get it going! It’s amazing that there are still HUGE coins like that lying around, but they are! I’ve also been wildly fortunate to have found 2 so far in 10 years. It was mind blowing both times that a coin could be so big!
Grats on one HELL of a hunt!

Back
Top Bottom