Diamond ring at the park today 18 total diamonds. Beautiful 14K white gold

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
This is gold ring #10 for me, and I managed rings #129 (a nice heart mood ring, uncorroded), and this 14K diamond ring for #130.

Also found $2.39 in change. Total hunt time was about 1:15.

Today was an unexpected cold snap with the start of the day in the mid-40s. nd I figured the soccer field would have a ring or two dropped purely from cold hands. The heart shaped ring in the picture below (total finds) is a mood ring, and was uncorroded, and just laying on the surface. Definitely a today drop...

At first thought, I thought the diamond ring in the video was a fresh drop, but upon careful inspection, while it wasn't deep, there's nothing about how it was located that suggested it was recent. I only saw a tiny lip of the ring after pushing away all the grass and clippings (including the dead grass, and even some dirt)... Given where it was against the very last field, and how it was in the earth though, it quite likely could have been from this spring (not a lot of foot traffic to push it into the ground). It definitely was under the detritus of the grass, and I had to move dirt to see the ring. Not a drop from today, or this last week or two. And that sucker was definitely IN the dirt (dirt and roots were through the ring hole, as very briefly shown in the video.) Even when cleaning it up, I found little roots trying to dig into the holes behind the diamonds.

Gonna give it my best shot, I already started checking message boards, and I'll call the city tomorrow. The thing about my city, though, is that while they're VERY friendly to metal detectorists, not so much to people who lose stuff. They only hold stuff for 30 days, they don't call people back (you must check constantly), and whatever stuff does get turned in, they don't give to the original finder (they drop it off in a goodwill box... or more likely, give it out at the office party, LOL).

So... It stays in my possession for a few months to see if I can find an owner.

Either way, wicked fun find!

EDIT: I couldn't seem to get it to embed. Here's the direct link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPgmOxmYRwk

The diamonds all tested positive. The center stone is 4.5mm, which comes up to .35 carats. The other stones are all 2mm, which is .03 carats. 17 of them, which sums up to .34 carats. Basically, a 2/3 carat total weight ring. Makes sense, since the ring came up at 6.53 grams. (one carat of diamond is .2 grams). That means .13 grams is diamonds, and the other weight is gold. (If you've followed all of that, then you're with me, when I say it's 6.4 grams of 14K). About $150 in gold.

Cheers,

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 565
  • rootas.jpg
    rootas.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
It sure did! Made my weekend!

Now, I can go to sleep happy, knowing I broke the 10 gold ring mark for the year, too!

I love this hobby. :)

Well you are way ahead of me. I have found four gold rings this year and one Palladium ring. Of course I made up for the lack of gold by two of those rings having nice diamonds in them. a .60 carat and a .75 cart with .48 carats of side diamonds

Well you are way ahead of me. I have found four gold rings this year and one Palladium ring. Of course I made up for the lack of gold by two of those rings having nice diamonds in them. a .60 carat and a .75 cart with .48 carats of side diamonds

oooh.. 3/4 carat is nice! I found one that was close earlier this year. Only .67 though.

Never had a palladium. that would be a fun one. Was it worth anything in melt? or are you a treasure box-er...?

Man, that's a really nice ring and a great live dig too! Congrats!

Btw, how did you estimate the carat of the diamonds? Did you take them off to weigh them?

That's an awesome ring! Is there any way to gauge the value of the diamonds?

Yep, for anything under 1/4 carat, you can estimate $0.60 per point (a point is 1/100th a carat). For above that you'll need to look up wholesale value and take about 30% of that for direct sale. On eBay, I could probably get about $200 for the diamond (about half wholesale), but I'd have to get it GIA certified (costing about $60.). Basically, then, take away fees and shipping, and GIA Certification, and I'd really only make about $120 on the single stone.

So... the diamonds all together, are worth about .51* .60 ($30) and center of $120 or about $150 max, if I do all the work for it..

If I sell this to ARA refinery, I'll probably get about $70 for the stones total (they really lowball) making the total value of the ring about $220.

But... There's no guarantee the stone would sell nicely on eBay, either.

Cheers,

Skippy

Last edited:
Man, that's a really nice ring and a great live dig too! Congrats!

Btw, how did you estimate the carat of the diamonds? Did you take them off to weigh them?

Nope. Carat weight is easy to estimate on round cut stones (Princess too, if you have the exact dimensions.) Just get yourself a gauge and measure the stone's diameter and compare to a chart.

It's done by the diameter of the stone. See here:

Attachments

• 667dcf30e279fcad6020ecdcdf1e6a81--diamond-size-charts-diamond-sizes.jpg
    667dcf30e279fcad6020ecdcdf1e6a81--diamond-size-charts-diamond-sizes.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 541
Yep, for anything under 1/4 carat, you can estimate $0.60 per point (a point is 1/100th a carat). For above that you'll need to look up wholesale value and take about 30% of that for direct sale. On eBay, I could probably get about $200 for the diamond (about half wholesale), but I'd have to get it GIA certified (costing about $60.). Basically, then, take away fees and shipping, and GIA Certification, and I'd really only make about $120 on the single stone.

So... the diamonds all together, are worth about .34* .60 ($20) and center of $120 or about $140 max, if I do all the work for it..

If I sell this to ARA refinery, I'll probably get about $60 for the stones total (they really lowball) making the total value of the ring about $210.

But... There's no guarantee the stone would sell nicely on eBay, either.

Cheers,

Skippy

Take it to a jeweler that buys gold. I found a ring like your but without the extra bands and mine was a 1/2 caret diamond 14k gold and I got an offer of $230.00. Your should get quite a bit more than mine. Plus gold is up now. GL HH

Take it to a jeweler that buys gold. I found a ring like your but without the extra bands and mine was a 1/2 caret diamond 14k gold and I got an offer of $230.00. Your should get quite a bit more than mine. Plus gold is up now. GL HH

Trying to find owner first. :) Around here, for whatever reason, jewelers don't buy stuff except at nasty prices. Haven't found one that will pay decently.. :(

Back
Top Bottom