My Dog Is Out Of Control

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
She barked over 15 times this year!
It might not seem like much but when I was at the animal shelter 3 years ago and she decided to come live with me, I didn't hear a woof for weeks. Now it's almost 2 barks a week.

I forgive her since she is the cutest girl on the planet, and she knows how to give a high five.

What kind of dog do you have? She sounds adorable. :grin:

My German Shepherd takes her roll as protector quite seriously, so she barks at anything she doesn't like, or isn't familiar with... and occasionally at things that she does like and is familiar with. :D

2 barks a WEEK ! :shock: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Consider yourself blessed, when our Border Collie mix starts barking it can be a challenge to get her to stop, like when she spots a deer thru the sliding glass door out back. Fortunately our neighbors don't live too close :lol:

It makes for a good watch dog, but I'm now doing something I should have already done before, and that's trying to train her to stop barking on command. I still want her to bark initially upon hearing or seeing something to alert us, but to stop when I tell her, like "okay, we got the message, you don't have to keep repeating yourself" :lol:

I did some studying and from what I read you need to first get their attention as they are so focused on what they are barking at, then you can use a specific command to stop barking, I'll be trying a silent dog whistle to get her attention. Training might take a few weeks of repetitive efforts, but I am already seeing some progress from what I've tried so far.

What kind of dog do you have? She sounds adorable. :grin:

My German Shepherd takes her roll as protector quite seriously, so she barks at anything she doesn't like, or isn't familiar with... and occasionally at things that she does like and is familiar with. :D

I call her a Beerdale she has the hair of an Airedale on her back and hind legs, she actually has a mane about 3 inches long. On her chest she has short hair with the coloring of a Beagle.

So Beagle+Airedale = beerdale. If people have Labradoodles , and cockapoodles , I can have a Beerdale.

Is that the dog in your avitar?

Looks like a husky mix?

She barks more in one day than your dog in a year. But they are breed for barking....:D

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170524_181437.jpg
    IMG_20170524_181437.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 217
I call her a Beerdale she has the hair of an Airedale on her back and hind legs, she actually has a mane about 3 inches long. On her chest she has short hair with the coloring of a Beagle.

So Beagle+Airedale = beerdale. If people have Labradoodles , and cockapoodles , I can have a Beerdale.

Where does Beerdoodle fit in this hierarchy? :D

Oh Man! The Westminster Agility Competition was on last night! Way more fun to watch than the Olympics! The little dogs especially!..one little black and white Pappy caught my eye, Man that little guy was fast for his size!...I believe the main Westminster show dog event starts today...Thats always a must see for dog people..

I swear the older a dog gets the more protective they get as well. My last dog was a husky/lab mix. She was good most of her life but then the last 3/4 years of her life she got real protective of the house and family and started barking more. It wasn’t out of hand but definitely a change in behavior.

Nice looking pooch,I’m definitely a dog lover and I could care less if it’s a stray or full blooded.We bred our bulldogs,and that’s a nightmare.We have 5 and the mailman is what gets them going,almost like they know it’s time.And he’s scared to death of them,I guess they look mean but really they wouldn’t hurt a soul.This is my boy Dozer,he’s 7 with a lifespan of 10 years.Itll be a Sorry day when he goes.

Attachments

• 3341CDAC-A14F-4573-9462-9C155D548D7A.jpg
    3341CDAC-A14F-4573-9462-9C155D548D7A.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 155
Nice looking pooch,I’m definitely a dog lover and I could care less if it’s a stray or full blooded.We bred our bulldogs,and that’s a nightmare.We have 5 and the mailman is what gets them going,almost like they know it’s time.And he’s scared to death of them,I guess they look mean but really they wouldn’t hurt a soul.This is my boy Dozer,he’s 7 with a lifespan of 10 years.Itll be a Sorry day when he goes.

Had some bulldogs in the seventies with the intent to breed them, our first one had two pups and we kept one. Then a great Pyrenees wandered into my yard and never left. After putting ads in the paper and getting no reply we figured he was meant to be with us. For the first week he would not come out of the kitchen and onto a rug but he got used to it and for 8 years he was a great companion. Why would anyone train a dog like that and then not look for it when he got lost?
It took almost 3 weeks to figure out his name, then one morning my father said you're like a big old bear. His ears went up and we decided that must be his name. 155 pounds but a gentle giant.

Like Bulldogs people are intimidated by large dogs my last great pyr was amazed at my friends daughter, she was in a bouncy chair on the floor and he was checking her out. His head was the size of her body and my friends never flinched, there would only be trouble if a stranger tried to get her.

Last edited:
Nice looking 4 legged friends everyone !!!!

I appreciate people who treat their dogs with love as a family member and not merely as a "possession", my heart goes out to those poor dogs who get left outside and neglected after the "novelty" of having a new puppy wore off, people like that should not own pets, dogs have feelings and need love and companionship too !

Anyhow, take pics and videos of your dog when their younger and more energetic, my dog "Xena" is still playful, but I miss how she would really zoom around when she was a puppy :lol:

The pic to the left is from when we first saw her online on a pet finder site, we adopted her from an SPCA at about 9 weeks old.
Xena_pics.jpg

We rarely get snow, but she loves to play in it when we do !

This is when we started giving her baths in the big bathtub rather than the sink, at first she seems intrigued by the water, then she starts acting silly trying to dig at it and romping, just like a little kid, she really starts acting silly starting about the 30 second mark :lol:

We saw my dog at a shelter but the consierge picked her for another family. The next week we went back and her cage was empty, as we were walking out I saw that she was at an adoption event, it was across the parking lot. About 45 minutes later she had a new home. I don't know why the other family didn't want her but they sure missed out.

We saw my dog at a shelter but the consierge picked her for another family. The next week we went back and her cage was empty, as we were walking out I saw that she was at an adoption event, it was across the parking lot. About 45 minutes later she had a new home. I don't know why the other family didn't want her but they sure missed out.

Yep, I know what you mean, our dog has brought so much joy and love into our home I can't imagine not having gotten her and we are so glad we did get her.

(we saw her picture online on a weekend when the SPCA was closed, so we made sure we got there asap that Monday morning as we did not want to miss getting her)

Here is my pup awhile ago.....it is very smart sometime's smarter then me.
For example it learned fast to sit near window when needs to go out to potty.....but she took the lesson a little further.

She knows that when she is let out that I go grab a snack and if snack like a apple she gets a treat.

So now she justs tricks me to let her out to get a snack only:grin:
It's like she wants to go potty too often.

Attachments

• 001_zpsshvyuhg9.jpg
    001_zpsshvyuhg9.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 122
Our first dog (14 years) was a Golden Retriever - loved that dog more than any animal I have ever met.
For our second dog (now 9) we chose a Chi-Weenie (part chihuahua and part wiener)
Love this little 8-pounder, he is super cuddly and also protective of his yard:D

Attachments

• 20180215_194023.jpg
    20180215_194023.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 91
Our first dog (14 years) was a Golden Retriever - loved that dog more than any animal I have ever met.
For our second dog (now 9) we chose a Chi-Weenie (part chihuahua and part wiener)
Love this little 8-pounder, he is super cuddly and also protective of his yard:D

I hear you on first dogs they make such a great strong impression on us, my first gsd was one of them.. it was the pefect behaved dog but sadly only lived to about 5...had a few more over the years but the first was 1 in 100 never to be matched.

Back
Top Bottom