Storage Wars

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
I watched it last night. Man, what a business to get into. Buy a storage locker for $150 and sell the stuff in it for $3000 plus.

My friend has worked at a storage company for 10 years, two locations a week. He scraps the washers, driers, and refrigerators, he finds in units. At the auctions he said nobody wants the stuff in the units, so he spends a lot of time hauling mattresses and old sofas to the dumpster.

His best find last year was a silver dollar, an old phone and a comic book, got him about $60.

"Storage Wars" is the equivalent to those YouTube videos of metal detectorists digging seated coins in every hole.

Right after the crash of 08 I bought a couple of lockers and did really well. I would be the only bidder at some auctions so I’d get any locket I wanted for $50 and would make that much in scrap metal. It got crazy in 2011 and people would be paying way too much for lockers so I got out of it but it was fun while it lasted. I might go check one out again soon. My buddy opened an entire auction company with his buys.

I'd like to live in a Storage locker!...If they had electricity, it would be pretty sweet! A guy could have a nice comfy and secure set up! Its only like $75/month for a 10x10, and thats all a guy really needs...or $125 for a 10x20, so you could keep your car in there with you like Batman does! A small refrigerator and a microwave, George Foreman grill, coffeepot, with Wifi a fellow could even have a Big screen and a computer!!...

No yard to mow!, gutters to clean!, plumbing to fix, or even windows to wash! It would be like a Condo in a nice quiet neighborhood!!...'Private Gated Community' concept! With No HOA rules! Then, a guy would get a membership to a nearby Health Club for a place to go and get cleaned up every once in a while, wash off clad in the sink, do some laundry in the shower, hang out, possibly meet a rich Widow, etc...Pop into the Hampton Inn every morning for a free Continental breakfast, hot cookies in the evening....

See, I got this all figured out! Full time easy living and nothing but detecting all the live long day!! I could pay the whole expense with Clad alone! Heck, go South for the Winter! I cannot see any downside at all! Except they do not allow it...And even if they did, my poor Wife certainly wouldnt go along with this... I even told her she could have her own 10x10 room down on B aisle if she wanted! She just has No imagination or sense of adventure...my fault for coddling her all these years I suppose...:laughing:

Lol Mud. As a matter of fact, I lived in one for 2 months back in 1980. Made a spur of the moment move to the beach. Couldn’t find a place cheap enough. Had to put my stuff in a storage unit. While unloading furniture, sat in the couch , and that’s when it hit me , home sweet home. It was a 10x 12 for 40 bucks a month. It had a light in it , so I bought one of those screw in bulb / outlet adapters and plugged in my stereo. Would run down to the KOA campgrounds for a shower. Hell , that was cheap living. Picked up a girl at the bar one night , took her home, she was like !!!.
Ah the good times.

Lol Mud. As a matter of fact, I lived in one for 2 months back in 1980. Made a spur of the moment move to the beach. Couldn’t find a place cheap enough. Had to put my stuff in a storage unit. While unloading furniture, sat in the couch , and that’s when it hit me , home sweet home. It was a 10x 12 for 40 bucks a month. It had a light in it , so I bought one of those screw in bulb / outlet adapters and plugged in my stereo. Would run down to the KOA campgrounds for a shower. Hell , that was cheap living. Picked up a girl at the bar one night , took her home, she was like !!!.
Ah the good times.

You are my HERO! :laughing::laughing:

i have always hated the term abandoned. Most lockers are sold because the person who owned the items came upon hard times and couldn't afford to keep up the payments. Often there are items that belonged to family members who are no longer with them. It isn't like they walked away and left them. I'm sure a lot of them never wanted to lose them.

My friend built a whole kit airplane in a storage locker, it was called a Mustang. last heard he got it certified and up in the air. Man how many of us can even fly a plane yet alone build one from scratch or one that was in a severe crash.

I have a couple hundred units. Over the last 10 years I have cleaned out dozens upon dozens of them and they contain 99.9% junk. All of those reality shows are bogus. I have 3 or 4 right now that I would gladly give away if they were left broom clean.

The place my friend works at also has vehicle storage, a guy bought a used U-HAUL truck and lives in it. Every few days he moves to a 7-11 parking lot for a night.

On the show almost every unit pays big time, but come on they go through a storage locker and just say what stuff is worth. Really, $30 for a used crock pot? I can get a new one for less.

I have two units. One is my office and it does get to 15 degrees in there along with the highs of over 100 degrees and my other unit is storage for my tools. They are not cheap but cheaper then other places and the owner is a good person. I am in and out at all hours and every now and then I see a K9 unit getting some exercise between calls.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

If someone knew they were about to take control of a locker for non payment, wouldn't they take some of the valuable items out and leave the rest? This show is so phony. Even if it were real, the price they add up after getting a locker is only what THEY think it's worth and that's only if you can sell the item.
a lot of that stuff would sit in a second hand store forever and get you ZERO dollars.

If someone knew they were about to take control of a locker for non payment, wouldn't they take some of the valuable items out and leave the rest? This show is so phony. Even if it were real, the price they add up after getting a locker is only what THEY think it's worth and that's only if you can sell the item.
a lot of that stuff would sit in a second hand store forever and get you ZERO dollars.

A lot of places will lock the storage units without notice if the people thinking they have an agreement.

A lot of places will lock the storage units without notice if the people thinking they have an agreement.

I got that figured out too even! First thing, I'd quick pop up a garage door opener, and disable the standard locking mechanism by hack sawing off the bolt....
Sure, for all apparent observations, it will appear to be locked like normal, but thats just a ruse...go ahead, pop on another lock if you wish, cut off the lock thats there, you still cant get into the thing unless you got a master garage door opener remote, or saw a hole in the door and pull the release string!!

The poor dummy that runs the place will give up eventually tugging on that door with no success, figure its off the track or broken, and move on to another!

Another good idea would be to switch around the locker numbers occasionally...In case he puts in a work order for a Maintenance Man to get that 'abandoned' #19 aisle B door unstuck! See? I'm still safe and sound! I've been putting entirely too much thought into this!:laughing:

Right after the crash of 08 I bought a couple of lockers and did really well. I would be the only bidder at some auctions so I’d get any locket I wanted for $50 and would make that much in scrap metal. It got crazy in 2011 and people would be paying way too much for lockers so I got out of it but it was fun while it lasted. I might go check one out again soon. My buddy opened an entire auction company with his buys.
Another crash coming, I wouldn't mind getting in on that action!

Another crash coming, I wouldn't mind getting in on that action!

Right? If it wasnt for all the lifting involved!...:laughing: I'd so tired of lifting stuff! Seems things have gotten a lot heavier in the last few years?....must be gravity strenghthening up for the pole shift...:?:

One of my friends sometimes bids at storage auctions and I have helped him "clean out" some of them. YES there's no doubt many remove the good/valuable items before they default on the next payment. You can tell because often there's only bags of dirty smelly clothes, rotten mattresses, greasy kitchen appliances, tubs full of worthless VHS tapes and full of bugs/stinkbugs/roaches. Who in their right mind would pay a monthly fee to store that kind of trash? It's obvious things were removed. Once in a great while you find something saleable/valuable hidden in the back or the unit but not usually. Believe me, cleaning these units out is a lot of work and you are under a time limit to dispose of the junk. Most of the time we just break even. We do get a kick, though, watching the fiction these shows offer. :roll:

We do get a kick, though, watching the fiction these shows offer. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I think I saw the same item on3 different shows. Storage Wars, American Pickers, and Pawn Stars.

Back
Top Bottom