Votes: 35 3.3%
  • Whites Coinmaster, Coinmaster Pro

Votes: 81 7.7%
  • BH Discovery 1100, 2200, 3300

Votes: 22 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 98 9.4%

• Total voters
i started with a BH quick silver, it wasn't to quick on finding me silver but it worked, now im using the ACE250, much better, this gets my vote.
Dan

First metal detector

Carol: ;)
A better survey would be ~~
not as much the brand/make of detector. The funds available ~~what is affordable ~~ the cost of the machine . Nice to have a birthday, fathers day or any gift day due. Another grass mowing job maybe.
A lot depends on what type hunting to be done too.
There are some lucky enough to find a good used unit, then hi-grade later. An estate seller said they almost always ;) went first.

My advice is buy the best You can afford. I have always used White's, but who is to say/know the best?
What is the best car or camera?
If a body don't think His/hers is the best~~might be ready for a change. It helps to have faith in what You have.

The beginner with lots of money often times ends up with a machine that has lots of features, knobs and adjustments ~~that is very hard to learn. Then lose interest because of finding too much (mostly junk).
I have an extra detector that when I ask permission to search ~~I offer them to use it ~~(keeps them from My shoulder) ~~at times they want to use Mine cause stuff they are finding is junk". (uncirculated nails)
The turn on and go are good for starters.
The CD for the one being used seems to be helpful. Learn how to use the one You have. Good headphones a must.
Your own yard is good place to learn. Cut the hinge plug, lay dirt on a piece of plastic to place dirt back in the hole. Pin pointers good helpers.

I like long plastic sacks to keep My knees dry and clean.
(produce sacks from grocery or even bread sacks with the bottom cut)
I have had folks tell Me that there is, "no metal in my YARD". Seems to be metal everywhere I have ever been.

Also some will not work close to another esp of same brand.
I once was in a competion hunt and could hardly hunt when another White's user came close. I could hear them when coming within range (close).

"Praise " its time to get them batteries and the tough to get going.

For under $100 it's impossible to beat the BH Tracker IV. It will find anything and if you learn the sounds you won't dig near as much trash as you'd think.

Under $200, I'd give the F2 a nod to beginners. Accurate with great target recovery and most importantly, very forgiving to a fast swing.

I love the Ace series. I have an Ace 150 and I find Otto be one of the easiest machines to use with loads of potential. Just look at some of my threads. I've used it for everything from dry sand at the beach to in my local freshwater lake and every patch of dirt in between. I have found everything from Morgan dollars to Barber halves and tons of relics in between. I think for a baginner it's a great detector.

However if you have more money to blow get the AT Pro!

I started out with a bounty hunter, loved it and started my climb up. Next i went to the F4 and now I'm up the the whites DFX. if i'd had started with the Whites DFX, i would not have got far, it's a learning curve.

if i was to recommend, i would have to say the F2 or the Ace 250, just flip a coin.

getting ready to order a Whites TDI. Once you start this it's a very vicious cycle...LOL :laughing:

That's a plus for the AT Pro, if there is another detector causing interference you can switch your frequency..
Sonny

Carol: ;)
A better survey would be ~~
not as much the brand/make of detector. The funds available ~~what is affordable ~~ the cost of the machine . Nice to have a birthday, fathers day or any gift day due. Another grass mowing job maybe.
A lot depends on what type hunting to be done too.
There are some lucky enough to find a good used unit, then hi-grade later. An estate seller said they almost always ;) went first.

My advice is buy the best You can afford. I have always used White's, but who is to say/know the best?
What is the best car or camera?
If a body don't think His/hers is the best~~might be ready for a change. It helps to have faith in what You have.

The beginner with lots of money often times ends up with a machine that has lots of features, knobs and adjustments ~~that is very hard to learn. Then lose interest because of finding too much (mostly junk).
I have an extra detector that when I ask permission to search ~~I offer them to use it ~~(keeps them from My shoulder) ~~at times they want to use Mine cause stuff they are finding is junk". (uncirculated nails)
The turn on and go are good for starters.
The CD for the one being used seems to be helpful. Learn how to use the one You have. Good headphones a must.
Your own yard is good place to learn. Cut the hinge plug, lay dirt on a piece of plastic to place dirt back in the hole. Pin pointers good helpers.

I like long plastic sacks to keep My knees dry and clean.
(produce sacks from grocery or even bread sacks with the bottom cut)
I have had folks tell Me that there is, "no metal in my YARD". Seems to be metal everywhere I have ever been.

Also some will not work close to another esp of same brand.
I once was in a competion hunt and could hardly hunt when another White's user came close. I could hear them when coming within range (close).

"Praise " its time to get them batteries and the tough to get going.

When I was making the desicion on my first detector I read ALOT. I knew I wouldn't be happy with an entry level machine and just saved the extra and got the middle of the road, easy(!) to use Whites M6. Best desicion I ever made. It kept me happy right out of the box, found a ton with it and still use it today. HH

Jason

Beginning Detector

I started with the White's coin pro. Simple turn on and go, used it all last summer in South Jersey. Used it to find a '52 silver quarter and a 1910 silver dime in my back yard. My buddy used it when his detector went for repair and he recovered a small gold religous medal from the beach.

I started with the White's coin pro. Simple turn on and go, used it all last summer in South Jersey. Used it to find a '52 silver quarter and a 1910 silver dime in my back yard. My buddy used it when his detector went for repair and he recovered a small gold religous medal from the beach.

Yes I did! Good little detector.

Well i voted the Compadre.Reason, very simple turn on and go MD that will very easily find just about anything the higher priced units will including very small jewlery and coins,very user friendly,great for kids and adults wanting something that will perform well and not break the bank.Just an all around good detector in my opinion.

Add me to the e-trac list - though it really depends on the individual.

The first detector I seriously considered buying was the Bounty Hunter 505.

But I spent a few weeks researching pretty much every detector on the market, and watching videos of people using just about any detector that looked interesting to get a handle on the various features different detectors offered.

I don't set a budget until I have a handle on what I want, and I'm OK with the fact a higher budget may delay the purchase. On the other hand, I wanted to be sure if I didn't enjoy the hobby it wouldn't be because I bought the wrong equipment.

I also think a good pinpointer is pretty much a "MUST" for this hobby.

Why did so many people vote for the Ace 250? I guess I would choose that for whoever was trying to find silver at my sites!! LOL!

for me it was about money so i went with the ace 250 ,i could have got by with the 150

for me it was about money so i went with the ace 250 ,i could have got by with the 150

The F2 is the same price. I found my 305 for $280 open box. Why would so many people recommend the 250 over the F2? It might be an inch or two deeper, but depth isn't as important as people think. I have found 25 silver coins at less than 3 inches deep with my e-trac.

Which one

I use the Garrett 250 and the Coinmaster pro for my rental detectors and have had the best luck with these two detectors. Customers have always been happy with either detector.

Back
Top Bottom