Do you rate the AT Max as a deep unit?

ghound

Elite Member
It's been out a while now in the public's hands, who rates it as a deep detector in today's market?
Much was made of it's air test results early on!

I've gone through about 5 battery packs-worth of detecting time and I can tell you the MAX can actually be "frustratingly" deep. I never thought I'd say that, but this thing will pick up stuff 10 - 14" here in the NC soil. I actually find myself throwing up my hands occasionally and giving up an 80's signal because I have seriously made a crater in the earth chasing something WAY down there to no avail.

So you're going to hear from the MAX haters and those that have watched videos on it and those who have actually used it (like me) with real-world experience. It runs very deep and like woodbutcher said, in AM mode the thing is insane. I never use AM mode because it is so freaking sensitive.

This was the perfect detector for me. I went from the ACE 400 to the MAX and it was exactly what I needed. Had the ML Eq. been out, it too would have been a contender.

Yes very very very deep. Deeper than anything I've used in Ohio soil. 11 inch nickels with good signal. With my etrac or f75ltd I'd find deep stuff on occasion but the max does it every time out. Yes it can be frustrating digging 14 inches for a 12ga shell casing. The haters say this and that but this IS that deep.

The one I borrowed did pretty well in the test garden right on par with a t2 and deeper than the macro racer 2 and nokta fors core I tested. It had to be put in all metal to run at the depths the deus gets in disc mode. All in all pretty deep detector but the AUDIO killed any positive reviews from me. Garrett could have put a iron vol on it and it would have helped it out. If you are using it in a relic situation where you need to hear the iron your in trouble as far as having any sanity remaining after listening to the iron..... ..Yes all metal is really deep as you can see in the videos I did but check out the video I did in all metal with disc cut on... the all metal is a useless feature at a relic site if your DEPENDING on the disc and audio of the machine to tell you ferrous or non ferrous... imo So the boast about all metal being so deep well it is, but its useless for relic sites where iron is .....unless your digging every nail and such. I saw all those super air test in all metal mode before it was released.....it air test about 9 1/4 inchs on a silver dime in disc mode.....if that gives you any idea compared to other detectors. You guys can see my depth videos and my soil is mild and some detectors can get almost air test depths here. BTW FIRST TEXAS, GARRETT, TESORO,AND WHITES PLEASE QUIT REPACKAGING YOUR DETECTORS AND GIVE US SOMETHING NEW! BTW heres the all metal mode being tested with disc....

Last edited:
Calabash your machine was bad. Mine air tests a dime at 12" and slightly over.. that's in disc mode. 15 on a nickel in zero mode. All metal is very useful in places I hunt and extremely deep.

I have about 30 hours on the MAX and I will say it does go deeper than the PRO.
I only hunted in all metal for one hunt prior to the white death arriving, so now it has to wait until spring.:no:

Wow 14" that is deep! That's like CTX with the big coil deep... With the stock coil? I really want to try that max... Ive used both the pro and gold for extensive amounts of time...this is good info, thanks for sharing your experiences...

Okay,
Let's see the video of deep finds found in the wild using disc mode??
Simple
Coin sized, bullet sized targets.

The detector has been out long enough, surely someone has video showing.

I 'll even watch a video where the max is humming on a target (disc mode) and the at pro and gold are a sputtering-- target in the wild please.

Let me check and see if the Hoovers have some thing.

Not in the wild here but will do for now.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjHyNBhQQEo

Here a video on beach.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R99p_umuJUs

Last edited:
You better tell John Edmonton his was bad too because he posted his was hitting a SILVER dime at 9 1/2 inchs a air test . Will you please post a video of you machine air testing that deep on a silver dime in disc mode would love to see it...
Calabash your machine was bad. Mine air tests a dime at 12" and slightly over.. that's in disc mode. 15 on a nickel in zero mode. All metal is very useful in places I hunt and extremely deep.

Airtest are fun but don’t prove much.I have a Eurotek Pro that will airtest a nickel at 9 and a dime at nine,easily on both.And I’ll be the first to say that machine don’t stand a chance in hell of hitting a nine inch coin in the wild.

Sure will this spring when snow melts. I also just seen a video comparison of max and pro. Pro got 9-9.5 on dime and max got 12. Look it up since your so pressed over anything that's not a deus that may just work for other people. LMAO

First day out with the max. Hit a silver ring on a beach that gets pounded like a tinder date. Pretty impressed with the performance. Looking froward to this monster during fresh drop season. Not going to be much left on the beach when I am done with her. Big thumbs up Garrett!

Sure will this spring when snow melts. I also just seen a video comparison of max and pro. Pro got 9-9.5 on dime and max got 12. Look it up since your so pressed over anything that's not a deus that may just work for other people. LMAO
I just find it funny that the head guy on the forums for garrett John Edmonton had the same results as I did on a silver dime .... that's it maybe our machines were defective...:lol:

My Detech Chaser airtests a nickle to the moon and back.
Seriously close to 20" with 9" coil.
But it won't do near this well in my soil.

it hit it just fine, It has to be because me and John used silver dimes...he has some charts posted somewhere on the air test he did.

Back
Top Bottom