detecting in cyprus

chrish

ive read the laws on detectin in cyprus and it aint too clear
anyone got any ideas?

off on hols there 2 weeks today

It states,NO!

CYPRUS

Under Section 2(1) (a) of the antiquities law of 1935 (amended 1973) any object
whether movable or part of immovable property is protected by law.

Section 14 (1) states that ` no person shall excavate or cause excavations to be made whether on his own land or elsewhere for the purpose of discovering antiquities without a license'.

Although not specifically mentioning metal detectors, section 14(1) implicitly rules
them out, nor can a landowner legally give permission for a search to be carried
out if it results in excavation.

That sounds clear... at least as it applies to antiquities... how about loose change on the beaches? Or is that considered 'excavation'? RickO

thats what i was after
im not there to do night detecting for antiques and priceless possesions
just haev a scout on the beach

by that metal detecting list there are'nt many -places to detect in the world really

why does cyprus have their own detecting shop
if it is NOTallowed

http://www.cyprusmetaldetectors.com/joomla/

thats what i was after
im not there to do night detecting for antiques and priceless possesions
just haev a scout on the beach

by that metal detecting list there are'nt many -places to detect in the world really

why does cyprus have their own detecting shop
if it is NOTallowed

http://www.cyprusmetaldetectors.com/joomla/

I'd suggest getting ahold of that shop and get the skinny and what is permitted.:yes:

Although it always pays to get some info before getting into trouble, most of the restrictions usually apply to inland sites. You are normally OK to detect on the beaches, as long as it isnt a private beach. It may also make a difference if you are in the Turkish (north) or Greek (south) sector.

It may be a good idea to get some local info before you go, then only take a cheaper backup machine.

Cyprus is like America. Canada to the north, the U.S. to the south. Different rules, different laws.

You do see people detecting both the Greek and the Turkish owned areas. I would not risk any area under Greek control but as with many other countries you can detect even though its "forbidden". Section 14(1) is a total ban on detecting for antiquities. As Rick O has pointed out modern coins are not antiquities. In many countries the same applies. You can't seek old items but if your looking for a lost ring or tool for a farmer etc and you find something old its not your fault.

In 2004/5 the Turkish Embassy was quite happy to allow detecting on beach or land subject to normal rules. Get permission off the landowner and if you find a hoard it should be declared not smuggled out of the country.

In 2004/5 the Turkish Embassy was quite happy to allow detecting on beach or land subject to normal rules. Get permission off the landowner and if you find a hoard it should be declared not smuggled out of the country.

Yep, remember Midnight Express ? :shock:

Back
Top Bottom