Taking Ace 250 to the beach?

thewoodsman

Hi, i wanted to take my ace 250 to the beach, not in the water but on the sand. Do i need the rain/dirt cover to protect it from ocean spray or ocean air? Any other things to include about taking it to the beach? Thanks

If not then when do you use the cover?

Ive taken mine to the beach many times but only when the weather was nice. I have hunted in the rain with a plastic bag wrapped all around the control box.

On a beach I would recommend to use a plastic bag anyway, the fine sand is also something you do not want to get into your machine.

As long as the wind isn't blowing hard and you don't lay the machine down sand shouldn't be an issue. On the dry sand the Ace 250 will find as well as any other machine.

Have fun and don't obsess about the occassional trip to the beach. Those who hunt the beaches all the time have to take extraordinary precautions, but not those who are there occassionally on a good weather day.

Does anyone have a picture of how to cover the box up with a plastic bag? I know it sounds simple, but do you leave an opening on the bottom or try to cover completely? Thanks

ace in water.

I put the bag over the top and then secure the bottom with a large elastic. If I'm going in the water I wrap the box and shaft with plastic wrap, then heat it gently with a hair dryer to "shrink wrap" it all up. It won't be 100% waterproof but if you accidently drop it in water or catch a rogue wave it'll most likely save your machine.

My wife does have a Ace cover, But I just took this pics just to show you ;) I call it the cat cover! :lol: . Try this....get a storage bag size 7"x8" anything smaller will not fit...taped the ends....thats it! :D I will send you my bill! :yes::lol: g/l

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 408
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 408
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 409
Sure you can take it to the beach, dry sand only though! Get a weather protector for it! Its like $15 or something.

So if i completely cover it like you did with the plastic bag and tape, will the detector need to have air or is it fine like that. I figure they prbly have a cooling fan inside and does that do well being enclosed like that? Thanks

So if i completely cover it like you did with the plastic bag and tape, will the detector need to have air or is it fine like that. I figure they prbly have a cooling fan inside and does that do well being enclosed like that? Thanks

Is not completely cover....go back and look at the first pic. You will be just fine. never heard of a Cooling fan in a MD'er! :?:

Last edited:
AWWWWW Heck! Here we go AGAIN...

Sure you can take it to the beach,

dry sand only though!

Get a weather protector for it! Its like $15 or something.

JB, JB, JB...

That's not entirely correct. One can (and I do successfully) take the 250 onto the wet sand and even into the shallow water. I have posted a couple of threads and posts about this. I was told by Brad at Garrett Tech Support that it would work and with the DD Coil, it would be even MORE stable and by golly, mine is!

Here is the first thread from hunting in the water, before the DD Coil: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=70584

And here is the thread where I included pic's from a second wet sand hunt and the quote of the email from Brad: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=836894#post836894

Granted, the 250 isn't going to work like a PI or a VLF with ground balance capabilities, but it WILL WORK in the wet sand. Of course I don't know where the OP is at so the sand may be way more mineralized than ours here. Bottom line, he should have a go at using it in the wet sand and see how it does for him.

As far as a cover, I hunt the beach 95% of the hunting I do, I carry 2 one gallon sized ziploc bags - 1 to cover the control box as shown earlier and 1 to put my headphones in - and a sandwich sized bag for my cel phone, all just in case of rain.

Good Luck and HH!

Attachments

• wet sand ace.jpg
    wet sand ace.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 00aaa WELCOME.jpg
    00aaa WELCOME.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 389
So with the standard coil i shuoldent go in wet sand?

Naw, you can go into the wet with the stock coil. It's just that the DD coil is better suited to it. If you try MD'ing the wet sand, disc out nickels and everything to the left and leave your sensitivity at 5 or 6 bars. The only caveat is that your beaches may be more mineralized than mine and if so, your MD will chatter more. You really need to learn your MD before you venture into the wet sand or water. You'll do JUST FINE in the dry sand though.

Remember that you are pushing the edges of the envelop for what the ACE series was intended to do, but I have had pretty good luck with my 250 in the wet, way better in the dry, but pretty good in the wet

Hi, what mode do you guys hunt in with the ace 50 at the beach, what do you descrimiate out? Thanks

Just currious?

JB, JB, JB...

That's not entirely correct. One can (and I do successfully) take the 250 onto the wet sand and even into the shallow water. I have posted a couple of threads and posts about this. I was told by Brad at Garrett Tech Support that it would work and with the DD Coil, it would be even MORE stable and by golly, mine is!

Here is the first thread from hunting in the water, before the DD Coil: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=70584

And here is the thread where I included pic's from a second wet sand hunt and the quote of the email from Brad: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=836894#post836894

Granted, the 250 isn't going to work like a PI or a VLF with ground balance capabilities, but it WILL WORK in the wet sand. Of course I don't know where the OP is at so the sand may be way more mineralized than ours here. Bottom line, he should have a go at using it in the wet sand and see how it does for him.

As far as a cover, I hunt the beach 95% of the hunting I do, I carry 2 one gallon sized ziploc bags - 1 to cover the control box as shown earlier and 1 to put my headphones in - and a sandwich sized bag for my cel phone, all just in case of rain.

Good Luck and HH!

I've had the ACE 350 and sure it's the 250 with a few added features. Mine gave me nothing but falseing on the wet salt sand and I even went as far as trying a new D,D, coil and still had the same issues.? No I'm not an amateur detectorists by any means. Its just that vlf didnt seem to pan to well for me. Good to hear you actually have a unit that works ok for you.

Ray

ace 250

Update:

My Ace 250 no longer works in water around here(freshwater) since the temperature has gone up. I don't know if it's water temperature, or the hot sun causing issues but....it won't detect anything but false signals anymore. Not unless I go late in the evening when the sun is almost gone down. If I go into pinpoint mode all i get is huge massive signals all around me. I think the hot rocks are the problem :(. In the spring it worked great though. It still works in the dry sand as well but not in the water which sucks because that's where most of my hits come from. It's like there's a giant force field over the bottom. Beaches close at 9 here too which sucks arse. Until I get a water machine I'm a land lubber I guess.

I should note that on a beach that had mostly sand in the water it was working ok.....still a lot of empty holes and lack of good hits but as soon as I go near the rocks I won't pick up anything, not even trash.

how to put the bag on?

My wife does have a Ace cover, But I just took this pics just to show you ;) I call it the cat cover! :lol: . Try this....get a storage bag size 7"x8" anything smaller will not fit...taped the ends....thats it! :D I will send you my bill! :yes::lol: g/l

How did u put the bag on the ace 350. did u un screw it and if so how did u screw it back on?

Back
Top Bottom