Anniversary at Gettysburg and relic finds

bearbqd

Elite Member
Well its been an interesting couple of weeks. My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary by staying at a historical bed and breakfast in Gettysburg, PA. During our stay we took a guided trail ride on horses through the battlefield which was incredible. We had little headsets on and listened as our guide gave us a play by play of the battle as we came across different areas. It really made it come alive. I got my civil war fix while the wife got her horse fix. Win win.
The relic shops are incredible in this town. If you get a chance to visit there and only have enough time to visit one relic shop, make it The Horse Soldier. This shop has the most amazing collection of civil war artifacts, dug and non dug, that you could imagine. Everything is for sale including a $95,000 sword and a $175,000 pistol. They have a website with full inventory listed. Check it out, its amazing.

I got back to my cavalry camp yesterday and pulled out a few goodies. It started out with massive rain in the morning, but I didn't care because I started in the river and was already wet. I pounded a fjord where troops crossed but only came up with a brass ring that isn't even period. I guess others have pounded this area as well. After about three hours in the river I decided to make my way to the camp. The sun came out for awhile and brought with it massive humidity and mosquito swarms from hell. I literally felt like a living faucet with the amount of sweat coming off of me. I guess I sweated off all of my deep woods off because the mosquito vermin were like no other. Never again will I hike any distance from my vehicle without taking the off with me. I managed to endure the little spawns of Satan long enough to pull out a few goodies and firsts for me. I managed a picket pin which I understand to be of confederate make, but it was in a Union camp. Seeing as how both sides used each others equipment all throughout the war, this doesn't surprise me. It's in excellent shape and the ring is nice and free. It should clean up nicely when I treat it. I also found part of a watering bit, a perfect sword hanger 11 inches down, another nice Spencer sans casing, a rivet, and a smaller pistol bullet. I also found two percussion caps in one hole but I forgot to take pics of those.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I also found ten dropped Sharps carbine rounds in one hole about 12 feet from where I found the picket pin. Four of them are in near perfect condition. Also, the small mill stone I found at a different location a couple of weeks ago.

By the way, anyone know what type of cannons those are? There were only those two there during the whole battle of Gettysburg with hundreds of the other types. It took me all day to find where they were. Hint--I believe longest distance shooter in the war.

Attachments

• Sharps day.............jpg
    Sharps day.............jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,662
  • Sharps day............jpg
    Sharps day............jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Sharps day..............jpg
    Sharps day..............jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,623
  • Sharps day...........jpg
    Sharps day...........jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,654
  • Sharps day..........jpg
    Sharps day..........jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,633
  • Sharps day........jpg
    Sharps day........jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,623
  • Sharps day.......jpg
    Sharps day.......jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,670
  • Sharps day......jpg
    Sharps day......jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,612
  • Sharps day.....jpg
    Sharps day.....jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,625
  • Sharps day....jpg
    Sharps day....jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,627
  • Sharps day...jpg
    Sharps day...jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,622
  • Sharps day..jpg
    Sharps day..jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,642
  • Sharps day.........jpg
    Sharps day.........jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,638
Last edited:
That's awesome! My girlfriend and I are going to stay next year on the 150th anniversary of the battle!! I really look forward to it! Thanks for posting!!
HH!
Justin

I know exactly where that barn is! If I remember correctly that is/was the Cordori's. My dad went to college @ G'Burg 61-65 & knew the family as he lived off campus with them.

I was a Conf. CW Re-enactor (before kids :D). Are you digging in the G'Burg area (off NPS Property of course)? I'd love the do a CW hunt there someday off NPS property.

Sweet finds!

Great post!
Its my lifelong dream to one day get to Gettysburg, Pa.

I did that same horseback tour through the battlefields a few years ago and it was an amazing experience. Did you go in the little museum they had at the campground site with the battle diorama? Makes me want to go back to Gettysburg..Cool finds! Congrats!!

Absolutely LOVE going to Gettysburg with the family. Been in every one of those relic shops downtown, too (never had enough money to get anything good, though!). Haven't been there since I started metal detecting, though. I heard you don't want to go near Gettysburg with a detector, though...not even in the trunk! However, I got a free meal card for General Picket's Buffet (buy 10, get one free!), so I gotta go back now! :eat2::eat2::eat2:

I love Gettysburg! We've been there for family vacations, and my son's scout troop went years ago. Besides the park, the town itself has a lot of interesting sites and shops. It's a great place to go. Thanks for the pictures! (The horses were a great idea!) Curt

I would give just about anything for one of those Artillery pieces.
Put it on display in the front yard, next to a flag pole.
Congrats on the finds. That's where I got the MD bug.

That's awesome! My girlfriend and I are going to stay next year on the 150th anniversary of the battle!! I really look forward to it! Thanks for posting!!
HH!
Justin
Sweet, but I hope you reserve a room early. I bet there won't be any to be had when the date arrives.

I know exactly where that barn is! If I remember correctly that is/was the Cordori's. My dad went to college @ G'Burg 61-65 & knew the family as he lived off campus with them.

I was a Conf. CW Re-enactor (before kids :D). Are you digging in the G'Burg area (off NPS Property of course)? I'd love the do a CW hunt there someday off NPS property.

Sweet finds!
That's so cool! Nope, not digging in G burg area. I'd love too though. My finds are from the Front Royal, VA area.

I did that same horseback tour through the battlefields a few years ago and it was an amazing experience. Did you go in the little museum they had at the campground site with the battle diorama? Makes me want to go back to Gettysburg..Cool finds! Congrats!!
The diorama has been moved to the history building on the same street as Horse Soldier. That thing is so cool.

Absolutely LOVE going to Gettysburg with the family. Been in every one of those relic shops downtown, too (never had enough money to get anything good, though!). Haven't been there since I started metal detecting, though. I heard you don't want to go near Gettysburg with a detector, though...not even in the trunk! However, I got a free meal card for General Picket's Buffet (buy 10, get one free!), so I gotta go back now! :eat2::eat2::eat2:
You know, if you lived there how would that work? The town itself is park property right? If I live there and I'm going to detect somewhere outside of NPS property, obviously I'm gonna put my detector in the trunk and drive there. What if I get stopped and they see it? Every road in and out of town is on park property.

Gettysburg Electronics (MD dealer) is located right on the square in Gettysburg, so it's not illegal to have one. :lol:

I used to live 20 min west of G-burg, but I was not into detecting then. My neighbors (and many locals) were full-bore Union CW reenactors and it was not uncommon to see people dressed from that time period around town. Many from the area were used in the battle scenes for the movie Gods & Generals too.

An elderly man from church worked as a tour guide there and we were honored to have him give my family a personal tour. Glad we did, he passed away shortly thereafter. Many, and I mean many, passionate history buffs in the area.

All really neat stuff.

The cannons are Whitworths, They were on of the only breech loading cannons used in the civil war. I live in Carlisle, it's about 26 miles from Gettysburg. I go over there once & a while.

Gettysburg Electronics (MD dealer) is located right on the square in Gettysburg, so it's not illegal to have one. :lol:

I used to live 20 min west of G-burg, but I was not into detecting then. My neighbors (and many locals) were full-bore Union CW reenactors and it was not uncommon to see people dressed from that time period around town. Many from the area were used in the battle scenes for the movie Gods & Generals too.

An elderly man from church worked as a tour guide there and we were honored to have him give my family a personal tour. Glad we did, he passed away shortly thereafter. Many, and I mean many, passionate history buffs in the area.

All really neat stuff.

Don Hinks is the owner of GE. He's a nice old gent.

My Mom & Dad stayed there recently. They sent me photos and visited with Don Hinks. My dad is really big into those antiques. They told him about my love for MDing and he sent a huge envelope filled with info and a kind letter. What a sweet man! I hope to get a chance to meet this fellow one day.

Thank you for submitting this thread and congrats on your finds. Happy Anniversary to you and your wife!

Nice finds -- Do you live in the area or where you just visiting? I am headed up that direction the end of the for work and will be bringing my ACE with me. I was hoping to meet some locals and join them for a little hunt but so far unsuccessful.

Any insight would be helpful

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom