Branch Brook Park - Bloomfield, NJ

MixCM

Hi All,

This may have been asked already, and I apologize for asking again, if it has already been answered. I did a search that did not yield any results, so I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know if a permit is required to search Branch Brook Park (Address: Lake St & Park Avenue, Newark, NJ 07104)

I'm not 100% certain but Branch Brook Park is part of the Essex County. System and was or is patrolled by County park Police. I MD in a number of county Parks 30 years ago. Including Brookdale and Eagle Rock. It was OK then, don't know about now. Don't go alone. I was mugged in Branch Brook. Interested to know what you find out.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

...I did a search that did not yield any results, so I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know if a permit is required to search Branch Brook Park ....

did a "search" of "what" ? If you "searched" right (although I'd have done no "search") and found no prohibitions (silent, as your search results seem to indicate), then .... seems to me that "silent" = "not prohibited". In other words: lack of prohibition = allowed (not prohibited).

You're not going to find "express allowances" in this hobby. And if no "permit" is listed as needed, then ... doesn't that mean no permit is needed ? :?:

http://www.essexcountyparks.org/parks/branch-brook-park/faqs

"Do any park activities require permits?
Most passive activities, i.e., strolling, jogging, cycling, bird watching, etc. do not require permits. Barbequing or open fires are not allowed in Branch Brook Park. Information regarding obtaining permits for use of playing fields for organized sports as well as other activities such as special events, filming and picnics can be found under Resources."

Lol, detecting is passive...right? Sounds good to me!

Had to dig deep, but I think this is specifically what you need:

http://www.ecode360.com/12502774?highlight=regulations,park rules,parks,rules,park,rule#12502774

Based on that, section A subsection 3..."Removal of natural resources. No person on County property shall dig or remove any soil, rock, stones, trees, shrubs or plants, downed timber or other wood or materials, or make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting or other means or agency." -I would say this doesn't really pertain to metal detecting since I don't believe things dropped/lost to be "natural resources"...

And then section B subsection 1 just below that..."Injury and removal. No person on County property shall damage, cut, carve, transplant or remove any tree or plant or injure the bark, or pick the flowers or seeds, of any tree or plant. Nor shall any person attach any rope, wire or other contrivance to any tree or plant. No person shall dig in or otherwise disturb grass or in any other way injure or impair the natural beauty of usefulness of any area." -I think that pretty much says "no way"! Sorry.

That specific wording is about as shady as a pecan tree at high noon, but I personally wouldn't risk it. JMO, until Tom can convice me otherwise... :laughing:

Last edited:
I'm not 100% certain but Branch Brook Park is part of the Essex County. System and was or is patrolled by County park Police. I MD in a number of county Parks 30 years ago. Including Brookdale and Eagle Rock. It was OK then, don't know about now. Don't go alone. I was mugged in Branch Brook. Interested to know what you find out.

I'd like to hear that story of the mugging if you dont mind! Just for some Wintertime interesting reading..
Mud

@Tom_in_CA

I did a "Search" of this forum. As to make sure I wasn't asking a question that may have already been answered.

@MrNovice,

Thanks for that information. I really appreciate it!

There are parts of the park (may not even be part of the park) that are wooded, in which I located some geocaches and thought would be a great place to detect. It's very isolated and there's no pretty grass areas to disturb, it looks like a mess as it is.

Kindest Regards,
Mick~

...... No person shall dig in or otherwise disturb grass or in any other way injure or impair the natural beauty of usefulness of any area." -I think that pretty much says "no way"! Sorry.

That specific wording is about as shady as a pecan tree at high noon, but I personally wouldn't risk it. JMO, until Tom can convice me otherwise... :laughing:

haha, you are much too cruel Mr-Novice ! You baited me ! :lol: And you know FULL WELL the answer to such "catch all" verbiage is, for when it comes to the discussion of md'ing ! You just want to :hornetsnest: But to the O.P., here it is:

The type verbiage that Mr. Novice cites, can be found in ANY park across the ENTIRE USA. Heck, it didn't even need to use the word "dig". It/they could read: "alter" or "deface" or "vandalize" etc.... Hence all such verbiage automatically means "no md'ing", right ? We "dig" and "alter" afterall, right ? But oddly, if you scroll back through finds forums on any md'ing website, you will find NO SHORTAGE of guys (gasp) md'ing in parks ! How can this be ?? Are we all law-less miscreants ? :?:

The key is: If you leave no trace (fill, pack, stomp, fluff up, etc...), then logically you haven't defacED or alterED anything. The word "dig" seems to be a bit more problemsome, right ? But think about it: what is the difference between deface and defacED ? Simply present vs past tense, right ? Thus what is the difference between dig and dug ? Same thing: Simply present and past tense ! The only difference is, we don't say "digged" as the spelling of the past tense of that word. Otherwise, the logic of being in compliance so long as you've left no trace, is the same thing.

Oh sure, you can ALWAYS go find someone to disagree with those semantics. And you can ALWAYS find someone in the field who might think you're about to leave a hole, or harm earthworms, etc.... Ok, fine then: pick lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lou gripers. Heck, it's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene.

Heck, it's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene.
What kinds of places are you hunting at night? How do you handle lighting? Do the police approach you more because it's night?
I've done my curb strip at night, there are 2 street lights in front of my house, and I've stayed past dark at a local totlot because it was super well lit and full of clad. Other than that, if I'm not wearing a big goofy headlamp I have found night attempts too frustrating, in places like my back yard or a friends yard. I'm a night owl so I'd love to play on the dark side but I haven't figured out how to make it work for me yet.

Tom knows I kid, and it wasn't actually the bolded parts of what I posted that really raises concern (because that really is pretty much standard ordinance for any city park). The part I really thought odd was where it stated "natural beauty and usefulness"?

Usefulness?...how useful is it only being able to stare at it? Obviously they don't mind it and fully intend for it TO be used, or they wouldn't have put that. So use away!

Just be respectful, courteous and respectful (of people and property) and you'll probably be fine.

Last edited:
What kinds of places are you hunting at night? How do you handle lighting? Do the police approach you more because it's night?
I've done my curb strip at night, there are 2 street lights in front of my house, and I've stayed past dark at a local totlot because it was super well lit and full of clad. Other than that, if I'm not wearing a big goofy headlamp I have found night attempts too frustrating, in places like my back yard or a friends yard. I'm a night owl so I'd love to play on the dark side but I haven't figured out how to make it work for me yet.

You can light any area how you need to, and all city property can be hunted any time unless there are hours listed. All my home city parks are 6am till midnight, others around me close at 10pm or 11pm. But I've hunted them much later till I get tired, but I've been asked to leave several times because it was past "curfew".

.... What kinds of places are you hunting at night? How do you handle lighting? Do the police approach you more because it's night? ....

Ace400:

1) The kinds places I was referring to, to hunt "at night", in the context of this post, is Turfed parks. NOT that you're "breaking any laws". But simply to avoid the connotations a busy-body could draw. As opposed to sand, or chaparral type terrain, where .... no one thinks about (gasp) "holes". Sort of like nose-picking: Not "illegal" , right ? No one "seeks permission", right ? Yet don't we all use discreet timing so as not to offend the squeemish ?

2) You do not use any lighting. No headlamps, no back-lights on your detector, etc..... Just pick a night with a 1/2 moon or better, and let your eyes/pupils become adjusted. And only turn on a miniature penlight to look at the date on a coin or whatever. Because otherwise, if you're walking around with a headlamp, your eyes / pupils will become adjusted to JUST THAT BEAM. And you will go blind to everything else around you. Same for back-lights on a detector: Turn them off (only turn on if you need to adjust a control or whatever). Because if that glow is in the corner of your vision, then again: You will go blind to everything else around you.

3) I am of the opinion that signs like "park closes at sunset" or "10pm" or whatever, is so that no one thinks they're going to camp overnight there. Or have a late night keg party. Most all parks have such obligatory signage. Yet you'll see late night couples on a romantic stroll. Or someone walking their dog after dark, etc... And so long as you're not being a nuisance, you're usually ignored. This will be a park-by-park "call" and "feel". But just saying that is often ignored , and only enforced, if cops had to come put a stop to a party or homeless encampment.

4) You ask if I've every been approached by the police for hunting at night [in a "closed-at-sunset" type park]: 2 times. Just gave lip service and left. And this is out of hundreds and hundreds of night park hunts.

Hey Mud, I should clarify that I wasn't MDing when mugged. Just the wrong place, wrong time. However unless things have changed substantially it probably would still be better with a buddy. Roy

Hi there. I'm in Newark. I've been hunting for just 2 months. Today I went to ask if need a permit in the area and they said no need. Just don't make a mess and don't forget to cover your holes properly.

By the way, I'd like to join other hunters around on the weekends. Let me know !

Hi there. I'm in Newark. I've been hunting for just 2 months. Today I went to ask if need a permit in the area and they said no need. Just don't make a mess and don't forget to cover your holes properly...

"Went to ask" who ?

I bet it you go back to that same desk a week later, and find a different person manning that front desk, you'll risk getting an entirely different answer.

I went to the office of the Essex County Park System.

115 Clifton Ave, Newark, NJ 07104
Phone: (973) 268-3500

I spoke with a lady called Jacky. She was very nice and told me I don't need a permit for places like Eagle Rock or South Mountain. Just treat the land with respect, don't leave a mess.

....I spoke with a lady called Jacky.....

Right. I had no doubt you got that "yes". I was just pointing out that you or the next guy, could go to the very same desk another day, and .... if another person was on duty, could get an entirely different answer.

Great that you got a "yes", but just saying it's Russian Roulette. So I would look up laws/rules for myself. And if nothing says "no metal detector" (and no mention of "permits"), then ....... there ya go :)

Well, you know...., rules could change anytime so better take advantage now and hunt all we can.

By the way, today on my way back from South Mountain I found some nice spots like abandon houses and would like to hit that area. I'm looking for some other hunters ready to try some tough areas where can't go alone.

Back
Top Bottom