Advice Please: BH Tracker, salt water, coarse beach

SirFrancesDrake

Forum Supporter
29lfbcg.jpg
[/IMG]I went to try a new beach today. It is essentially a huge tidal pool area where a natural long rock formation blocks the waves from a shallow wading area, and there is a course sand beach.

I could NOT get my MD to stop chirping (a lot) on the sand on this beach in either TONE or ALL METAL modes. In DISC, i could get the interferance to stop but then it would barely pick up my test penny or my keys. It would pick up my stainless beach shovel - but its huge.

Why could i only run disc?

Any idea what i can try to hunt this beach? Its very promising.

What could the composition of this beach be such that its driving my
Machine nuts?

Never had this issue on nearby, more traditionally formed beaches. It must be something to do with the sand in this area due to the rocks that form a sort of lagoon.

For now i give up until i can reasses. Im not going to swing just to miss everything or try to find signals in the chatter.

help appreciated.

The BH tracker isn't known for being a high-end machine . And perhaps not well-suited for wet salt to begin with. But did you try lowering your sensitivity way down ? Think of the sensitivity as a car's high beam vs low beam: If you have high beams on in the fog (fog = analogous to nasty wet salt minerals) then you're better off, in that case, to have low beams on. Same logic for detectors and sensitivity setting.

Yes the sensitivity all the way down on TONE and ALL METAL modes still had lots of interference. The detector works on all of the beaches around awesomely, just not this one. But DISC mode seemed to eliminate the interference. Could it be a very metallic beach composition?

My BH Tracker was only good for 2 or 3 inches in dry sand. I couldn't get a quarter I buried myself a 5 inches in the wet sand no matter what I did.

My BH Tracker was only good for 2 or 3 inches in dry sand. I couldn't get a quarter I buried myself a 5 inches in the wet sand no matter what I did.

Thats odd, that hasnt been my experience at all. Until today. Must be the sand content

It sounds weird but i swear my BH has bad-days. Then next hunt its back. Very strange. Im missing something

Thats odd, that hasnt been my experience at all. Until today. Must be the sand content.

Then my hunch is: You don't know what you're missing.

I had the same experience with an Ace 250 user here. He was finding stuff, no problem (assuming conditions not too nasty) on the beaches here. Then we hunted together one time, and traded off flagged signals. He was simply amazed at what he'd been missing. I was pointing out signals to him, that he was barely getting a tick off of.

You might want to get yourself a machine more suited to wet salt/minerals.

Then my hunch is: You don't know what you're missing.

I had the same experience with an Ace 250 user here. He was finding stuff, no problem (assuming conditions not too nasty) on the beaches here. Then we hunted together one time, and traded off flagged signals. He was simply amazed at what he'd been missing. I was pointing out signals to him, that he was barely getting a tick off of.

You might want to get yourself a machine more suited to wet salt/minerals.

Oh man 😬. Ill check out salty beach machines.

I got into this with the BH because i didnt know of id stick with the hobby. But im totally hooked. Thanks everyone

multi frequency machine is a good way to go.

I use a Minelab Etrac on the dry beach and a tosoro sand shark in the water and I never have problems with salty beaches. You have to spend a little money but the resuls will be positive...

The BH tracker isn't known for being a high-end machine . And perhaps not well-suited for wet salt to begin with. But did you try lowering your sensitivity way down ? Think of the sensitivity as a car's high beam vs low beam: If you have high beams on in the fog (fog = analogous to nasty wet salt minerals) then you're better off, in that case, to have low beams on. Same logic for detectors and sensitivity setting.

Great analogy, thanks

UPDATE: just took my machine to a grassy lot, same issue. Pretty sure the coil or something has gone bad!

Screw this - time to upgrade.

Last edited:
Those are some monster waves!! A great op to get out without gettingnhammered!

Back
Top Bottom