• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Curb Strip Advice???

wvdave107

Elite Member
What is the general rule on curb strip hunting. I pass by a couple really good looking places all the time. Just haven't had the ba!#s to hit them up. One looks really good. It's right behind the outfield of a little league baseball field. Seen tons of people there in warmer months.

Been detecting for a few months. Don't have really any solid permissions or at least any that have panned out. Would like to get into some worth while areas.

If it's not in front of anyones house then just go there when not many people are around. If it is in front of someone's house then you have to decide whether to stop in and introduce yourself or take your chances and just go ahead and do it. Most homeowners understand the city owns the curbstrip. Good luck with it.

Just do it...lol.. I was honestly just thinking exactly that....Who cares what somone else thinks or sez,man if I lived my life worrying about other people I might as well hang it up.
My girl always says (what will the neighbors think) when I’m out there running my equipment or just doing somthing she don’t approve of,which is about everything I do.I like my neighbors but they don’t pay my taxes or bills,so I’ll do what I want.
I’d say just go have fun,and wear headphones so you don’t hafto hear anyone asking what your doing.

I have hunted a lot of curb strips and if the area or residence is abandoned then I have hunted those without permission. If it's in a residential area then I always use the "what if it was my house" theory. I know that people say that the city owns curb strips but in some areas that is not true. The Utility Companies are granted a right of way in order to run lines, repair utilities, etc. That doesn't give you free reign to do as you please. The property owner is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the area so how would you feel if you stepped out your front door and someone was digging in that area. I know what I would do and it would probably not be worth the hassle for you. There is so much made about whether you have to get permission or not but my thought is why you wouldn't. I have been invited to hunt the whole yard on several occasions when asked permission to hunt the curb strip. I would rather not get the hunting location than to have a conflict with some pissed off land owner. Down here in Texas that can be very bad for your health.

As the Nike tennis shoe advertising jingle says ........

Like the advice Tom. Soon as the weather permits. I'm going to take a little drive and hit it up:D No houses around the area, just an old little league field. The worst anyone could say is leave.

...My girl always says (what will the neighbors think)....

haha. Well she's right. Not every last person on earth will love and adore everything your or she does in life. :roll:

I'll be the first to admit we're in an odd-ball hobby with connotations . Eg.: that you might be about to leave a hole or "take" something. So if you're going to be in this hobby, you're going to have to "grow a thick skin". Not every last person on earth will roll out red carpets for you .

But ironically, I find that most of the time it's just the opposite when I'm out md'ing: If someone approaches you it's usually: "what's the best thing you've ever found?" . And "How deep does it go?". Thus I don't know why there's this underlying assumption that you will only ever bump into resistance, unless you grovel for everyone's love and approval in this.

Yes it belongs to the city but most people feel possessive about that strip. If it’s being cared for and is landscaped I stay away. If it’s weeds and in bad shape I will search it but I go when I’m less likely to be confronted. During the work week if residential and weekends if commercial. If someone objects I move on. It’s not worth the hassle.

What have I found? An old old pocketwatch, antique pocket knives, an 1858 Seated Liberty quarter and aTON of bottlecaps and pull tabs.

I have hunted a lot of curb strips and if the area or residence is abandoned then I have hunted those without permission. If it's in a residential area then I always use the "what if it was my house" theory. I know that people say that the city owns curb strips but in some areas that is not true. The Utility Companies are granted a right of way in order to run lines, repair utilities, etc. That doesn't give you free reign to do as you please. The property owner is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the area so how would you feel if you stepped out your front door and someone was digging in that area. I know what I would do and it would probably not be worth the hassle for you. There is so much made about whether you have to get permission or not but my thought is why you wouldn't. I have been invited to hunt the whole yard on several occasions when asked permission to hunt the curb strip. I would rather not get the hunting location than to have a conflict with some pissed off land owner. Down here in Texas that can be very bad for your health.

"Down here in Texas that can be very bad for your health."

Too funny!!! A stereotype Texans would like to have us think is true, and only theirs!!!

Canyon Lake is nice. Visited it last spring for the first time.

Sure. And I bet Pescadore has an example of an md'r shot for md'ing a parking strip in Texas, eh ? :roll:

Get a grip Tom, I was only throwing in a little humor. I have never heard of anyone getting shot for hunting a curb strip but you can come on down and take a chance in my yard if you want to
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

"Down here in Texas that can be very bad for your health."

Too funny!!! A stereotype Texans would like to have us think is true, and only theirs!!!

Canyon Lake is nice. Visited it last spring for the first time.

Yes, it is a very beautiful place and there is so much to do since we are so close to San Antonio and Austin. I am about 5 minutes from the Guadalupe River and in the summer it is a fun place to tube.

.... I was only throwing in a little humor....

ok. It's just that the minute someone throws that out there ("arrest" , "shot" , "tickets", etc....), even when just jokin' around, is when newbie skittish folk develop the: "Oh no, everyone hates us. We must grovel" notions. :laughing:

I was digging a curb strip today my biggest issue was emi, gotta beat up the depth to hunt

Curb strip

I was digging a curb strip today my biggest issue was emi, gotta beat up the depth to hunt

If you have the new community forum nextdoor, I've found putting out a blanket request/notice to really help. Also helps in getting permission for old private yards.

Maybe this has been posted but I do curb strips all the time and I go early as possible in the morning in cold weather when nobody is around, Or summer in extreme heat.

Of course wearing a yellow safety vest. :p

Just hunt it. Curb strips are technically public property anyway. If the landowner clearly puts in a lot of effort to maintain the strip, than it's probably better to ask for permission.

I like to score a yard, work the strip last, then work my way up to the strip in front of the house next door that either looks like the best prospect, or has someone outside. These usually lead to another permission for that lawn, especially when you get to talking and they don't see ANY holes in the one you just finished. Sometimes you can string together a whole neighborhood of strips and yards! GL and HH.

Back
Top Bottom