Which State,city do you recommend moving to?

Well, no place is going to be perfect, but I would think smaller towns should tend to have lower crime than in the big cities.

As far as getting a deal on a house and land, if you spot a property that is owned by a bank from a foreclosure you might want to keep an eye on how fast the price comes down over time.

We moved to South Carolina about 12 years ago, but started watching online for properties for sale for about a year before we moved. When we first saw the listing for the house we are in now it was about $78,000 and at that time the house was only about 5 years old, it is a manufactured home, but nicely made, 2100 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, kitchen has an island, fireplace in the family room, living room, dining room, and it came with 1 1/2 acres of land right next to a forest area, so very quiet and peaceful, (the deer don't make much noise :lol:)

Anyhow, we watched the price keep dropping over the course of a year, likely because it costs a bank money to hold onto it too long, so after about a year the price got down to around $40,000 so we offered $30,000 and they met us halfway at about $35,000 ! The neat thing is, thank God, we were able to sell our old house for just enough to pay off what we owed and still had just barely enough left to buy our house outright so we never had a mortgage payment !

So watch for houses owned by banks, they seem to be willing to let them go cheaper rather than hold onto them for too long, at least that's how it worked in our instance.

Check out a site called Trulia....pretty detailed regarding all the statistics in an areas homes for sale...crime, demographics, schools, the whole ball of wax...

Hunt around the Country via satellite and websites....pick a place and research it....

I would say in the Black Hills you should like...Keystone, Hill City, or Hot Springs..Very much like a miniature version of the Colorado Rockies...tourist season towns, good locals if you are a good person..

Its quite an adventure to move to someplace you have never been before, dont know a soul, very good and inspirational with the stories of survival forthcoming!...

For what you are looking for, it may be far north like Northern Minnesota...small brutal farm town where you will never be accepted...if thats OK with you, then it fits the bill...have a look at Grygla ....No crime, no tornadoes or earthquakes...the peat bogs do catch on fire every once in a while though, which turns out to be a good thing... smudges out the mosquitos.

I second what GKL said. I’m in a rural area, I own a home on eight acres. I watched a small farm foreclose, house, barn and 5 acres. The bank wanted $65k. My buddy offered $40K and bank shot him down.

Few months go by and the property sells for $14k.
How I know this? The new owner’s paperwork was handled by the Credit Union my wife was employed at. The new owners bulldozed everything and built a log home.

Are you retired or would you need to work where you move? Other than detecting what do you enjoy doing? Do you like hot or cooler climates?

We are getting a bunch of west coast retirees moving to the Ozarks, land is cheap, the winters aren't terribly cold, summer is only unbearable for a month.

We are getting a bunch of west coast retirees moving to the Ozarks, land is cheap, the winters aren't terribly cold, summer is only unbearable for a month.

I like the Ozarks as well...I bet I settle down in there...lived in Neosho back in the 60s and remember it fondly...

I take back what I said about Ozarks summer. Damn it's hot, been 10 -15 above average for a couple of weeks, looks like we are in for a rough summer

:laughing::laughing: Right? :laughing::laughing: Hows the bugs down there? Bad I bet! :laughing:

You don't EVEN want to know.......:shock:

iu

If youre looking for low crime and affordability, stay out of 98% of California. People are crazy here.

Back
Top Bottom