Masked Merc in the park

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Decided to look for "something good" in the old hammered park today. I started by thinking "Ring", so I dug a couple pulltabs, and after digging (I think) the third tab, my rescan picked up a previously masked penny/dime signal at 7 inches, about three inches over from the pulltab hole. I dig the plug, and scan the hole. I love my new Garrett PP! It gave me a precise reading, so I could carefully uncover a silver Mercury dime, that I could see, right where it sat for decades; tail side up, at almost 7 inches deep. Cool! Now I'm thinking "Masked coin" and maybe "Ring". A few feet away, I got a faint, sketchy kind of signal, at 6 inches. My Eagle Spectrum read "Quarter" and also "Penny/Dime". Turned out to be a quarter. 1934 silver GW Quarter! OK, now I'm thinking "detect", and I soon got one of those big coin signals you just know is a can or something. Sure enough, top of an old soda can. But wait. Another signal down there. Under the can top "mask" was a wheat penny. Very few wheats in this park. More silvers than wheats, so that was a surprise. AFter that, kids from school started showing up; staring, so I went to the school they just left, and picked up about 4 and a half bucks in clad, to finish out my day's hunt. No major "WOW's" but a good day, I'll say.

Attachments

• DSCN3146.jpg
    DSCN3146.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN3147.jpg
    DSCN3147.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN3148.jpg
    DSCN3148.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN3149.jpg
    DSCN3149.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 198
Love the write up regarding your initial thinking and all that...How you rolled with the conditions and assessed what the dirt was telling you...got some nice silver and Then busted some clad! Sweet Hunt!

Great hunt and good job thoroughly investigating your signals. That GW is in great shape for being so old! Congrats!

Congrats on the silver!! I love those signals under junk, I had an indian under a soda can a few months back. It puts the old " always recheck you hole" in your mind!

Great hunt gas money and silver. Congrats

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Nice finds man and some clad for gas. Only hobby in the world is hat covers it's incidental expenses.

Thank you all for the comments. I have pulled a lot of junk metal from this park, and it is finally starting to pay. There remains, of course, many times over more junk signals, so there's also still hope for more goodies.

Very Good day! Clearing all the garbage always uncovers something good.I try to do this with iron on old sites ....Until the back gives out and its back to cherry picking..lol..Ive uncovered a few nice finds on sites ive hit for years...all because I dug up some iffy signal that turned out to be masking a good target.You found gas money on top of it..Well done!

Back
Top Bottom