vaquero air test

fuzzymaster

I checked it today, air test that is, only because it's been raining all day, and I am getting about 8" in all metal mode.
Seems a little weak to me, what do you guys think?

In the video, is the MD in disc or all metal? I can get almost 12" if I switch to disc and turn the threshold to 3 oclock. Am I missing something here?

1982 penny. Adjusted by manual for air testing.
5" in low disc
8" in all metal.
So yes better in all metal, but seems weak overall, to me. Definitely weak compared to these videos. I have contacte Tesoro but have not heard back yet.

1982 penny. Adjusted by manual for air testing.
5" in low disc
8" in all metal.
So yes better in all metal, but seems weak overall, to me. Definitely weak compared to these videos. I have contacte Tesoro but have not heard back yet.

Well,,I think you have a problem.
Your unit not even close to what others see.
You using stock coil for your results you post here??

Do you have more than one coil for your detector??
If so try to test using it.

Yes, stock coil. I do not have another coil, and it is what I have been using.

Also, that was with threshold 1 o'clock and sens at 10.

Last edited:
I checked outside this morning.
New battery
threshold 1 o'clock
sens 10
copper penny
faint 11" all metal
6" low disc

I think I will call tesoro monday and see what they recommend.

before you do..

I checked outside this morning.
New battery
threshold 1 o'clock
sens 10
copper penny
faint 11" all metal
6" low disc

I think I will call tesoro monday and see what they recommend.

..wait!

Try to do a proper ground balance first and then try your airtest again. If you're set too positive, you'll lose alot of depth on airtest or in the ground.

Best way to ground balance your Vaquero is actually not "by the book", but by using Monte's "power balance" technique, and doing it in disc mode. Doing that will have it set optimally. Once you have threshold set to a low hum (not quiet, not loud), "power balance", then turn sensitivity up 'till the detector becomes a little chirpy, and then back sensitivity down 'till it just quiets again. This should be above "10" but under the maximum.

Try your airtest again. I bet it will have improved by quite a bit!

Doing it as Tesoro suggests is merely for your reference, and to teach you about where certain targets disc out. It helps you learn a little about the detector before you get out and use it, but is not an actual use setting (and is usually far from a proper GB).

Back
Top Bottom