Lots of false positives - HELP

CascoBayHunter

I have had the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 for three years. I got married on an island in Casco Bay Maine and one of my wedding guests lost her ring on the beach. Since I stayed there for an extra week, I baught the metal detector with wedding money and found her ring.

Since then I have had no luck. My main problem seems to be constant false positives. My detector beepr indicating that theres someting 6-8 inches down. I dig and then the sound stops, nothing in the pile, nothing there. This happens repeatedly. Today I dub 20+ holes (and filled them back in) and found nothing and I don't even know what is setting off the detector. I suspect the beaches have some metal rocks deep down that are messing up my experience.

Any help would be much appreciated. Any help with the notch settings or sensitivity settings would be great. Also, where on the beach should I look? Nobody's been over the beaches I go to in decades and I'd love to find some cool stuff.

I'm going out tomorrow again but an a bit discouraged with the experiences that I have. The thing beeps every few feet, and nothing is ever there!

Thanks in advance for some tips.

Casco Bay Hunter

The minerals in the salt water can cause some detectors to act as you describe. Try it out on the dry sand and dry land see if does the same.

BTW where in Casco bay region you detecting I used to spend lots of time at Orrs Island and the inlaws had a house in S Harpswell on the point

Hmmm whenI found my friend's ring it was in the soft sand, but as soon as I went towards the wet sand it goes nuts. Is my detector of poor quality? I am on Chebeague Island and have not seen a metal detector here for years. Even on the dry sand, I get a large amount of false positives. Thanks for your help.

Any suggestions on the settings that I should use?

CBH

What is thr Towel Line that I see mentioned on here? There are areas on some beaches where tons of perrywinkles collect and I thought this might be a good spot to start, any suggestions? Did you find any cool stuff on Orr's island?

If it has a coil cover try and remore it ,clean the sand out,that causes false positives,also make sure the coil is waterproof,some are not,3rd loose the bounty hunter,get a excalibur2,or cz21 hope this helps.

I have the same MD, I have used it at the beach on dry sand with limited luck, this machine is a VLF machine that just does not like salt water or wet sand for that matter , false signals when you hit the wet sand or even think about getting the coil next to the water, even turning the sens. down does not stop the constant squawking.

I stick with the towel line, where people place there towels to soak up the sun. Watch your local beaches during the day and see where they plop down for a day at the beach, also keep track of where the heaviest concentration of people are, maybe near a Hut where they rent umbrellas, paddle boats, chairs..etc or a even a snack shack. If you have anywhere people can sit, like a wall facing the beach or a pier that people walk on, if you can walk under the pier and swing , hit those spots.

I like to go early morning, not many around and its very peaceful.

HH

Thanks for the great tips and feedback on the bounty hunter, I guess this model is no good for hunting below the high tide line. Darn, well, there are plenty of beach goers and I will hit the area where people lay out. The "beach" I went to today is all but gone at high tide so that's probably why my detector was acting up so badly. Looking forward to dry sand detecting in that case.

I am also planning to hit an old military base site in the woods. Any tios for that? I'm thinking there will be a lot of nails form olf buildings but maybe some cool stuff...

Fun fun fun.

CBH

Try turning the sensitivity down. Then try hunting EITHER the wet sand or the dry sand, if you swing from one to the other in your swing it will false at the transition. Hope that helps.....

I am also planning to hit an old military base site in the woods. Any tios for that? I'm thinking there will be a lot of nails form olf buildings but maybe some cool stuff...

CBH

Make sure you can be on that property, and go all metal on the detector , Sens. about 3 o'clock and dig everything.

Great advice. I had not watched the video before I went out this morning. The high tide line was al that way up to the dunes so I was getting tons of false hits and it quickly became discouraging. I found one rusty nail and two little chunks of metal (light stuff that looked like aluminum.)

Then I found an enormous metal object that must weigh 10 pounds. It looks like a large metal screw type of thin with a bolt attached. It's kind of neat looking. Probably junk but I will hold onto it for now until I find something cooler, haha. Nearby was a metal thing attached to a rock. Any idea what the big one is? Is this stuff considered junk?

Rusty-Treasure-1.jpg

Rusty-Treasure-2.jpg

Rusty-Treasure-3.jpg

Rusty-Treasure-4.jpg

Rusty-Treasure-5.jpg

CBH

Thanks again for the advice and that video. Keeping the sensativity down has eliminated most of the false positives although I am also eliminating hits from 8-12 inches which is OK for now.

CBH

Back
Top Bottom