Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum Help & Announcements (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New (Old) Forum Rules for the Classifieds (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=199395)

Rudy 09-21-2014 12:09 AM

New (Old) Forum Rules for the Classifieds

Dear members,

Sometime ago, this forum had a rule about who could post items for sale, or trade, or auction. Specifically, a member had to have been a member for six months and had made 200 “significant” posts (what constitutes a “significant” post is somewhat subjective), the intent of the requirement was to let the membership at large know that you were serious about the hobby and allowed them to have a certain comfort level in dealing with you as a seller or trader.

Enforcing the above rule was an extra burden on the staff and given the close knit community we had here at FMDF, we felt this rule was not really necessary. In light or recent events, the decision to remove this rule was faulty. Our membership has exploded since this rule was lifted and many of those members have joined, apparently, only to use the classifieds. Hidden amongst them have been a few scammers, which we have dealt with.

We do not wish to become the eBay of the metal detecting world, preferring instead to have a close knit community of friends that we can trust. In the end, it is the responsibility of the buyer to know who they are dealing with, however, we would be remiss if we simply left it at that.

Therefore, effectively as of the date of this posting, we will reinstate the old rule. Sellers/Traders/Auctioneers will need to have been members for six months and have logged 200 significant posts before they can use the classifieds. Failure to meet this rule will result in their classified thread being deleted. Repeated failures to meet this rule may result in account termination.

Sales/trades/auctions already in progress will be allowed to continue until they close.

Nobody likes rules, least of all those of us that have to enforce them. But as long as there are unscrupulous people out there targeting our members, we feel it is necessary.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

chris kennedy 09-21-2014 12:12 AM

Thus us a huge inconvenience but I will respect the Admins wishes. It's nice to know I meet the requirements.

Dsm_mechva 09-21-2014 12:18 AM

Fantastic!

Beach Bum 09-21-2014 10:03 AM

maybe it will keep the scammers at bay

007tallguy 09-21-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris kennedy (Post 2167083)
Thus us a huge inconvenience but I will respect the Admins wishes. It's nice to know I meet the requirements.

i'd have to say it's much less of an inconvenience than it is to members who have been getting scammed out of their hard earned money by unscrupulous people!
if having these rules back into place helps to deter such activities, then i'm all for it!
thumbs up to the forum admin for taking these measures for trying to help keep things on the level. :waytogo:

stewart73 09-21-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007tallguy (Post 2167242)
i'd have to say it's much less of an inconvenience than it is to members who have been getting scammed out of their hard earned money by unscrupulous people!
if having these rules back into place helps to deter such activities, then i'm all for it!
thumbs up to the forum admin for taking these measures for trying to help keep things on the level. :waytogo:

My thoughts exactly. Good rule I say. :yes:

John W.H. 09-21-2014 02:05 PM

Good move I think. I'm all for it.

BeepZilla 09-21-2014 03:15 PM

Is this a significant post?

Just curios as to what constitutes a significant post.

But I also needed to check my post count-I just don't post that often nowadays...

Aaaack-the post count is 21!!!

I need to pick up the pace no doubt:cool:

grinsebring 09-21-2014 04:06 PM

Just a thought

The change back to the original requirements to use the classified section was not a spur of the moment decision. Owners, administrators, and moderators tossed this around for weeks. Our original rules ARE much more liberal then any other major detecting forum.

Scaling them back further allowing any member to offer merchandise for sale had it's drawbacks. Out right scams, poorly described
merchandise, trades gone bad, etc. Emphasis on "Knowing who you are dealing with" was not taken seriously, too much trust in your fellow man can come back and take a bite out of you.

For now, new rules will be a bit inconvenient to some of our newer members. Time will pass and significant posts will increase to meet specs, and hopefully the dealings will be more honest. By increasing time and posts you will know who you are dealing with.

ParkHunter 09-21-2014 04:19 PM

Fantastic job, FMDF staff! I 110% support this decision.

grinsebring 09-21-2014 04:19 PM

for instance

[QUOTE=BeepZilla;2167470]Just curios as to what constitutes a significant post.

I agree, / :laughing:,/ nice ring,

These kinds of posts have no substance, and are used solely to increase post count.

All we are saying is show a little interest in the hobby. All you need is one line
of verbage

Also, posts in classifieds I don't believe unless there was a change in policy
have no value in post count.

A reminder on that subject, if you are not buying or have no interest other then expressing your opinion on whats being sold think twice, you are burning space, and generating reports by the seller to management. You will have it deleted and you will get warned. I don't have the authority to publish the next level on the subject, but it is not good for offenders

firekeeper 09-21-2014 09:39 PM

I'm for it since it looks to me like a few people have been trying to use the classifieds as an online coinshop. If you want an onlike shop start one don't try to take over a forum.

msand 09-21-2014 10:15 PM

Good idea.

Donneybrook 09-21-2014 10:27 PM

We appreciate all you do so much. The people on this forum that y'all work so hard on have changed my metal detecting career so much. Thank you for all you do for us.

jbkelly3 09-22-2014 01:15 AM

Well done ... there is such a strong sense of belonging in this site that I have no problem supporting the decision. To be honest, a newbie might learn enough in 200 post to know better than offer something that is not up to standards.

coin chaser 09-22-2014 07:57 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Keep up the good work admins and thanks for all your hard work.

sleepyjim 09-22-2014 08:07 AM

Excellent!

Jim

bwlarge 09-22-2014 04:09 PM

Don't know what to think of this. Been a member for a yr and a half. I've gained a lot of knowledge and bought several items. I check in several times a day to read about others finds, but dont find a whole lot myself that is worth posting about. I was thinking of selling some things to try and get a new coil for the at pro, but I guess I'll have to sell elsewhere. I don't post very much on any forums. I've been a member on one since 08, and have less than 300 posts. This is a bummer for sure.

Captain Silver 09-22-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwlarge (Post 2168334)
Don't know what to think of this. Been a member for a yr and a half. I've gained a lot of knowledge and bought several items. I check in several times a day to read about others finds, but dont find a whole lot myself that is worth posting about. I was thinking of selling some things to try and get a new coil for the at pro, but I guess I'll have to sell elsewhere. I don't post very much on any forums. I've been a member on one since 08, and have less than 300 posts. This is a bummer for sure.

You have 6 positive feedbacks and a 100% rating already...that's good enough for me regardless of your post count.

Surf Master 09-22-2014 09:25 PM

This is good

GREAT NEW'S, goodbye scammer's :realitycheck: