Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   Make It or Fix It Yourself (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Equinox coil ear stiffener and repair (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277780)

Dan B. 11-02-2019 01:15 PM

Equinox coil ear stiffener and repair

3 Attachment(s)
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

Stiffwrists 11-02-2019 08:21 PM

Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?

Dan B. 11-02-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists (Post 3163209)
Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?

Yes it reinforces the existing ears. There is one model for the 11 and 15 inch coil and a different model for the 6-inch coil they also have one for coils that have already broken off the ear. The library only charged me a dollar. Pretty good deal.

Foragist 11-03-2019 11:05 AM

I like it! Looks like it would distribute/diffuse/reinforce the stress point areas; preventing a busted coil ear. The strap-on repair design is clever too!
I am now wondering if there's a library around here with a 3D printer...

NJDiver 11-03-2019 02:31 PM

I just had to have them printed. So worth it to save the headache of snapping off an ear. Thank you!

ToySoldier 11-23-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan B. (Post 3163128)
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.

Dan B. 11-23-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier (Post 3169010)
It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.

Yes the original bolt fit fine. I only had to clean a little flashing out of the hole for the original bolt to fit through. I noticed that the instructions changed the fill percentage.

ToySoldier 12-11-2019 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan B. (Post 3163128)
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off..........

Picked mine up last night from a buddy with a 3D printer. Clever design, perfect fit, and clearly does what it's designed to do. The original bolt is just long enough that the nut turns and tightens enough that I'm not worried about it backing itself off.

Donut 01-02-2020 01:53 PM

There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6Ē and the 11Ē/15Ē coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug

tnsharpshooter 01-05-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut (Post 3180232)
There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6Ē and the 11Ē/15Ē coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug

Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.

ChrisMD 01-05-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 3181203)
Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.

Donít pay $15, itís like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and Iíll send them to you.

tnsharpshooter 01-05-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMD (Post 3181213)
Donít pay $15, itís like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and Iíll send them to you.

So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

Iíll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6Ē, 11Ē, 15Ē coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.

ChrisMD 01-05-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 3181217)
So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

Iíll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6Ē, 11Ē, 15Ē coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.

There is two different types, the first is to reinforce coils and the second type is to reinforce and fix if a coil ear is already broken off.

If you goto Thingiverse.com, you can see all the different mods available by searching ďminelabĒ or ďMinelab EquinoxĒ.

Also, there is a service called 3D Hubs, at 3dhubs.com, where local people outsource their 3D printers for a small fee. So letís say you see something cool on Thingiverse, just download the STL file, plug it in 3D Hubs with your zip code, and youíll get prices to have someone make it for you. Most often itís a lot cheaper than those with 3D printers selling on eBay.

Iíll get those 3 done and out this week. Iím not on the Detector Prospector forum, but Iím happy to make the broken ear one for him also if you want to reach out to him.

tnsharpshooter 01-05-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMD (Post 3181229)
There is two different types, the first is to reinforce coils and the second type is to reinforce and fix if a coil ear is already broken off.

If you goto Thingiverse.com, you can see all the different mods available by searching ďminelabĒ or ďMinelab EquinoxĒ.

Also, there is a service called 3D Hubs, at 3dhubs.com, where local people outsource their 3D printers for a small fee. So letís say you see something cool on Thingiverse, just download the STL file, plug it in 3D Hubs with your zip code, and youíll get prices to have someone make it for you. Most often itís a lot cheaper than those with 3D printers selling on eBay.

Iíll get those 3 done and out this week. Iím not on the Detector Prospector forum, but Iím happy to make the broken ear one for him also if you want to reach out to him.

Gent who need help seems is member here as well and is named castleberry.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/f...comment-112648

castleberry 01-05-2020 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian

tnsharpshooter 01-06-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castleberry (Post 3181241)
Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian

No sweat.
Your problem, helped me too.
Thanks.

ChrisMD 01-06-2020 01:22 PM

Roger, Iíll get it printed and send this week. Do you want it in black? Just PM me your address, shipping will be less than $2 so you can just donate that to the local charity of your choice. Youíll need some small cable ties to attach it, I donít have any on hand or Iíd throw two in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by castleberry (Post 3181241)

Best Regards

Brian

castleberry 01-06-2020 03:16 PM

Mighty kind of ya ChrisMD ... PM send and donation will be made ...

Thanks

Brian

Donut 01-06-2020 07:18 PM

Iíve been hearing that if you contact Minelab they will replace the coil under warranty

castleberry 01-06-2020 09:55 PM

ChrisMD, Im having senior moments with the PM system LOL, please let me know if you have received my info ...

Thanks

Brian

ChrisMD 01-08-2020 05:37 PM

For those waiting on some coil ears I had a couple day delay because all my filament got water logged with the humid summer. I just got an order of filament in and they are starting to roll off now, will start mailing tomorrow. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5faaa4ce39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan B. 01-08-2020 06:44 PM

I had my local library print one for me. It's white. Can they be spray-painted without affecting the coil?

ChrisMD 01-08-2020 08:18 PM

Could you do me a favor and ask your buddy what Slicer he used to slice the file? I've tried using two different slicer and the regular reinforced model falls apart when I slice it. The repair model slices and prints fine.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier (Post 3173931)
Picked mine up last night from a buddy with a 3D printer. Clever design, perfect fit, and clearly does what it's designed to do. The original bolt is just long enough that the nut turns and tightens enough that I'm not worried about it backing itself off.

castleberry 01-09-2020 04:56 PM

ChrisMD, PM sent with address .. let me know if you don't see it..

Very Grateful for the help man

Brian

Dan B. 01-11-2020 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went back to my local library today, and had them print me a 3D ear stiffener for my 6-inch coil with the program they save the last time I was there. They did a good job it fits perfect and it only cost me $1.

Once again here is the link to the 3D blueprints.

ChrisMD 01-11-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan B. (Post 3182125)
I had my local library print one for me. It's white. Can they be spray-painted without affecting the coil?

For some reason I missed this. Yeah, you can spray it with acrylic no problem.

Dan B. 01-12-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMD (Post 3182796)
For some reason I missed this. Yeah, you can spray it with acrylic no problem.

Thanks chirs!!!

castleberry 01-13-2020 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Look what arrived in my mailbox today down here in TN...

ChrisMD, you sir are a gentleman and a asset to the forum, thanks to you I am back in action and can resume a few hunts I have scheduled till such time I can then return my coil to ML for replacement. Then Im armed to protect the new coil from the same scenario ...

:urock: ChrisMD

Sincerely

Brian AKA castleberry

tnsharpshooter 01-13-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castleberry (Post 3183429)

ChrisMD, you sir are a gentleman and a asset to the forum, thanks to you I am back in action and can resume a few hunts I have scheduled till such time I can then return my coil to ML for replacement. Then Im armed to protect the new coil from the same scenario ...

Sincerely

Brian AKA castleberry

Got mine today.
Super dude this gent Chris.
Thanks Chris.

ToySoldier 01-13-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMD (Post 3182154)
Could you do me a favor and ask your buddy what Slicer he used to slice the file? I've tried using two different slicer and the regular reinforced model falls apart when I slice it. The repair model slices and prints fine.

Thanks.

Hope you got your issue fixed. My buddy has been aloof lately. I was also going to give him a few bucks to make me one for the 6" coil, although I'm a lot less concerned about that one getting broken.

ChrisMD 01-13-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier (Post 3183485)
Hope you got your issue fixed. My buddy has been aloof lately. I was also going to give him a few bucks to make me one for the 6" coil, although I'm a lot less concerned about that one getting broken.

I did get it sorted out, the model only worked in one particular slicer, which is the software package that chops up the model and sends it to the printer. I hate using that slicer that ended up working though, so I just jumped on CAD with my limited skills and fixed the model well enough to print.

ChrisMD 01-13-2020 08:32 PM

Thanks fellas, glad it worked for ya and you like it.

I had a bunch of new requests come in, for those still waiting I filled up all my printers making Star Wars Death Troopers for all the kids coming to my sonís birthday party. As soon as this batch comes off Iíll free up a printer to make another batch, should have them out by Wednesday.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object...-trooper-32710

Quote:

Originally Posted by castleberry (Post 3183429)

Sincerely

Brian AKA castleberry

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 3183460)
Got mine today.
Super dude this gent Chris.
Thanks Chris.

WildDigger 01-14-2020 05:54 PM

Glad I remembered this here. Thanks again for making the file available to all. My nephew told me his buddy has a 3D printer so he is going to get him to make me a few.

Dan B. 01-14-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildDigger (Post 3183811)
Glad I remembered this here. Thanks again for making the file available to all. My nephew told me his buddy has a 3D printer so he is going to get him to make me a few.

No problem always glad to be of some help.

penneyrich 01-21-2020 10:28 PM

I just purchased a 15" coil for my Nox 600. I had a friend print me one for each coil (6", 11", 15"). The stiffener fit perfectly on the 6" and 11". The stiffener ear slots were too narrow for the 15". I noticed that the ears on the 15" coil taper outward whereas the 6" and 11" coil ears were the same dimension along the entire ear. All of the information that I have read about the stiffeners says that the 11" and 15" stiffeners fit the same. Has Minelab changed the ear design to fix this issue or is there a different program for the 15" coil yoke stiffener? Thanks for any help given!!

Dan B. 01-22-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penneyrich (Post 3186027)
I just purchased a 15" coil for my Nox 600. I had a friend print me one for each coil (6", 11", 15"). The stiffener fit perfectly on the 6" and 11". The stiffener ear slots were too narrow for the 15". I noticed that the ears on the 15" coil taper outward whereas the 6" and 11" coil ears were the same dimension along the entire ear. All of the information that I have read about the stiffeners says that the 11" and 15" stiffeners fit the same. Has Minelab changed the ear design to fix this issue or is there a different program for the 15" coil yoke stiffener? Thanks for any help given!!

Maybe you can take a small flat file and open that up a little bit to get it to work. Here is the link to where the program was. Read the comments one of the comments show someone else had an issue. Updated links here also.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618/comments

Charly-in-CT-RI 01-23-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

My 11 and 15 are not the same. I purchase one from someone and the forum and it was said they are the same by mine were not.

ChrisMD 01-23-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan B. (Post 3186227)
Maybe you can take a small flat file and open that up a little bit to get it to work. Here is the link to where the program was. Read the comments one of the comments show someone else had an issue. Updated links here also.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618/comments

The comments were actually from me about having issues. The modelís mesh was messed up and would only work in a specific program that I hate using.

I repaired the model, and in my case the same model works for both my 11 and 15 coil.

ChrisMD 01-23-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

In my case, the same model works for the 11 and 15 for me but I had to fix the model in order to get it to print. There are more than one version of coil support models floating around out there also. The other thing is the tolerances are tighter on the 15, if your buddies printer isnít calibrated for dimensions properly that tight tolerance can make the print a no-go.

btripp6 01-28-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMD (Post 3181213)

How much would you charge me to make 6 of them? I will gladly Paypal you for them.