Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   Make It or Fix It Yourself (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Equinox coil ear stiffener and repair (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277780)

Dan B. 11-02-2019 01:15 PM

Equinox coil ear stiffener and repair

3 Attachment(s)
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

Stiffwrists 11-02-2019 08:21 PM

Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?

Dan B. 11-02-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists (Post 3163209)
Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?

Yes it reinforces the existing ears. There is one model for the 11 and 15 inch coil and a different model for the 6-inch coil they also have one for coils that have already broken off the ear. The library only charged me a dollar. Pretty good deal.

Foragist 11-03-2019 11:05 AM

I like it! Looks like it would distribute/diffuse/reinforce the stress point areas; preventing a busted coil ear. The strap-on repair design is clever too!
I am now wondering if there's a library around here with a 3D printer...

NJDiver 11-03-2019 02:31 PM

I just had to have them printed. So worth it to save the headache of snapping off an ear. Thank you!

ToySoldier 11-23-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan B. (Post 3163128)
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.

Dan B. 11-23-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier (Post 3169010)
It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.

Yes the original bolt fit fine. I only had to clean a little flashing out of the hole for the original bolt to fit through. I noticed that the instructions changed the fill percentage.

ToySoldier 12-11-2019 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan B. (Post 3163128)
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off..........

Picked mine up last night from a buddy with a 3D printer. Clever design, perfect fit, and clearly does what it's designed to do. The original bolt is just long enough that the nut turns and tightens enough that I'm not worried about it backing itself off.

Donut 01-02-2020 01:53 PM

There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6” and the 11”/15” coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug

tnsharpshooter 01-05-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut (Post 3180232)
There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6” and the 11”/15” coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug

Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.

ChrisMD 01-05-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 3181203)
Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.

Don’t pay $15, it’s like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and I’ll send them to you.

tnsharpshooter 01-05-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMD (Post 3181213)
Don’t pay $15, it’s like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and I’ll send them to you.

So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

I’ll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6”, 11”, 15” coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.

ChrisMD 01-05-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 3181217)
So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

I’ll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6”, 11”, 15” coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.

There is two different types, the first is to reinforce coils and the second type is to reinforce and fix if a coil ear is already broken off.

If you goto Thingiverse.com, you can see all the different mods available by searching “minelab” or “Minelab Equinox”.

Also, there is a service called 3D Hubs, at 3dhubs.com, where local people outsource their 3D printers for a small fee. So let’s say you see something cool on Thingiverse, just download the STL file, plug it in 3D Hubs with your zip code, and you’ll get prices to have someone make it for you. Most often it’s a lot cheaper than those with 3D printers selling on eBay.

I’ll get those 3 done and out this week. I’m not on the Detector Prospector forum, but I’m happy to make the broken ear one for him also if you want to reach out to him.

tnsharpshooter 01-05-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMD (Post 3181229)
There is two different types, the first is to reinforce coils and the second type is to reinforce and fix if a coil ear is already broken off.

If you goto Thingiverse.com, you can see all the different mods available by searching “minelab” or “Minelab Equinox”.

Also, there is a service called 3D Hubs, at 3dhubs.com, where local people outsource their 3D printers for a small fee. So let’s say you see something cool on Thingiverse, just download the STL file, plug it in 3D Hubs with your zip code, and you’ll get prices to have someone make it for you. Most often it’s a lot cheaper than those with 3D printers selling on eBay.

I’ll get those 3 done and out this week. I’m not on the Detector Prospector forum, but I’m happy to make the broken ear one for him also if you want to reach out to him.

Gent who need help seems is member here as well and is named castleberry.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/f...comment-112648

castleberry 01-05-2020 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian

tnsharpshooter 01-06-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castleberry (Post 3181241)
Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian

No sweat.
Your problem, helped me too.
Thanks.

ChrisMD 01-06-2020 01:22 PM

Roger, I’ll get it printed and send this week. Do you want it in black? Just PM me your address, shipping will be less than $2 so you can just donate that to the local charity of your choice. You’ll need some small cable ties to attach it, I don’t have any on hand or I’d throw two in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by castleberry (Post 3181241)

Best Regards

Brian

castleberry 01-06-2020 03:16 PM

Mighty kind of ya ChrisMD ... PM send and donation will be made ...

Thanks

Brian

Donut 01-06-2020 07:18 PM

I’ve been hearing that if you contact Minelab they will replace the coil under warranty

castleberry 01-06-2020 09:55 PM

ChrisMD, Im having senior moments with the PM system LOL, please let me know if you have received my info ...

Thanks

Brian