Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   Lost and Found (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A dog rabies tag (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=273490)

miner1812 05-19-2019 06:40 PM

A dog rabies tag

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9956fc0142.jpg.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me the possible name of dog or owner on this tag? I found the the while metal detecting in the forest in my back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stiffwrists 05-19-2019 07:02 PM

Awesome find! That dog and its owners are long gone by now. I bet those vaccination records from that long ago have been purged.

kingman mikey 05-19-2019 07:38 PM

Very cool find & in excellent cond. Congrats.

vegasplayer 05-19-2019 08:24 PM

worth $35-$50 on fee-bay nice find:D

Iggyks 06-09-2019 10:47 PM

Hope it didn't fall off of Old Yeller! 😊

jimther 02-05-2020 07:05 PM

Dog names and owners are not usually ID'd on a Rabies tag. You'd probably only be able to track down the dog & owner thru the tag's issuing authority, i.e., veterinary practice, or municipality, and probably only for modern rabies tags (no more than 8-10 years old). I bet records would not be kept longer than that. Any veterinary employees here that can add to, confirm or refute this information ?

I have a 1949 tag issued by a national company(Pitman-Moore). It says:

PITMAN_MOORE
RABIES VACCINE

They are a huge Animal Health company, more than 100 years old and now part of Dow AgriSciences. So, no local vet or municipality could be tied to my tag, making it nearly impossible to ID the dog/owner, 70 years later.

Jim

GroundSweeper 02-05-2020 09:28 PM

Awesome tag! Nice dig!

AirmetTango 02-06-2020 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimther (Post 3190637)
You'd probably only be able to track down the dog & owner thru the tag's issuing authority, i.e., veterinary practice, or municipality, and probably only for modern rabies tags (no more than 8-10 years old). I bet records would not be kept longer than that.

I havenít tried for rabies tags, but I recently took the dog licenses that Iíve found to my countyís auditors office (they issue the dog licenses here) hoping for a little luck to learn something about the pets. The tags ranged in age from 1919 up to the 1990ís, and I figured maybe at least the more recent ones might have records. The lady behind the counter was intrigued, but she said they only maintain dog license records for 10 years. It may vary a little for other localities, but I imagine most places are similar - and Iíd also guess rabies tags wouldnít be much different.

I just found a neat cross-shaped rabies tag this past weekend, 1956 from Fort Dodge (Iowa, I assume). How it got lost in a NW Ohio park is anyoneís guess! Iím on the road for work until tomorrow, but Iíll add a pic once I get home :yes:

Edit: Added the pic below - but I also did a little research and found out that ďFort DodgeĒ on the tag I found is actually identifying that the rabies vaccination came from the Fort Dodge Serum Company, which was also happened to be based in Fort Dodge, Iowa. So that explains how it ended up in NW Ohio...it isnít really a town name, itís a brand name. Learn something new every day with this hobby!

YooperBSN 02-06-2020 01:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently came across this issue myself after finding a dog tax tag in my front yard. Initially I thought that Oliver referred to the name of the dog, however some research led me to discover that this referred to the issuing township. D.T.11 stands for Dog Tax and the year 1911. Using this information I contacted the issuing township who replied that all of those records were forwarded on long ago to the encompassing county's treasurers office. After contacting the county treasurer, they told me that they only kept 7 years of such records. While I'll never be able to trace the history of that tag any farther, it still is a really cool and semi-rare find as pre-1950s/60s tags seem to be uncommon. Congrats on the find!

beest 02-06-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists (Post 3108367)
Awesome find! That dog and its owners are long gone by now.

For the dog i believe that immidiatly. For the owner i hope not. Could still be around with 80 or 90.

And for sure an awesome find indeed! :thumbsup: