Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   All About Detectors (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   NEL Storm for AT Pro (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=258746)

Jburkes80 03-21-2018 11:54 AM

NEL Storm for AT Pro
 
Just ordered my Storm coil. Anyone have suggestions or tips for using it compared to stock coil !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bubbaron 03-21-2018 12:14 PM

Good Coil
 
Hi,
I'm using the Garrett 8 " x 6 " coil on my AT Pro. I really like this coil and it swings very easily. I found a lot of coins that my stock coil was not hitting on.
It seems to be deeper and also good in trashy areas. I think you'll be happy with the coil you mentioned. Run your AT Pro in Pro-Zero mode with 2 notches from full sensitivity. Does a great job dirt digging for coins and jewelry.
Want some snow ??? Free !!!
Bubbaron Nox 600. AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, 8 x 6 " Garrett Coil

Heymirth 03-21-2018 12:34 PM

Shorten your shaft a notch or 2 to help with the Tennis Elbow you may encounter after 3 months of swinging it

I have the same setup and had to take 3 months off

pacomdiver 03-21-2018 12:55 PM

bubbaron,
are you talking about the 5x8 DD coil or another one?

markinswpa 03-21-2018 01:11 PM

I have one for my AT Pro. They are great, goes deep. I was digging fired 22 lead and 3/16 washers at 11-12 inches. You will dig more for sure. HH Mark

John-Edmonton 03-21-2018 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbaron (Post 2916499)
Hi,
I'm using the Garrett 8 " x 6 " coil on my AT Pro. I really like this coil and it swings very easily. I found a lot of coins that my stock coil was not hitting on.
It seems to be deeper and also good in trashy areas. I think you'll be happy with the coil you mentioned. Run your AT Pro in Pro-Zero mode with 2 notches from full sensitivity. Does a great job dirt digging for coins and jewelry.
Want some snow ??? Free !!!
Bubbaron Nox 600. AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, 8 x 6 " Garrett Coil

Are you maybe referring to the 6.5" x 9" concentric coil? I have been using it for about 5 months and am really impressed with it's depth. Beats the 5" x 8" DD in my locations. Separation is good and ID's most bottle caps as junk, compared to using DD coils which ID them as coins.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=255097

Jburkes80 03-21-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbaron (Post 2916499)
Hi,
I'm using the Garrett 8 " x 6 " coil on my AT Pro. I really like this coil and it swings very easily. I found a lot of coins that my stock coil was not hitting on.
It seems to be deeper and also good in trashy areas. I think you'll be happy with the coil you mentioned. Run your AT Pro in Pro-Zero mode with 2 notches from full sensitivity. Does a great job dirt digging for coins and jewelry.
Want some snow ??? Free !!!
Bubbaron Nox 600. AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, 8 x 6 " Garrett Coil

I have the 5x8 for my Pro and it's great. This is going to be for less trashy civil war fields. I almost always run Pro Zero ! Thanks bubbaronhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d4699bacc3.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Jburkes80 03-21-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markinswpa (Post 2916530)
I have one for my AT Pro. They are great, goes deep. I was digging fired 22 lead and 3/16 washers at 11-12 inches. You will dig more for sure. HH Mark

Thanks Mark ! [emoji15] hh

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Jburkes80 03-21-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heymirth (Post 2916509)
Shorten your shaft a notch or 2 to help with the Tennis Elbow you may encounter after 3 months of swinging it

I have the same setup and had to take 3 months off

Thanks for the tip. I won't be using it all the time. I've heard it's heavy.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

bubbaron 03-21-2018 02:27 PM

Yes, It's the 5 x 8 " DD Garrett coil, Works great for me here in N. East PA soil.

woodbutcher 03-21-2018 02:32 PM

Hoover boys on YouTube really do great with that storm coil..not sure if you watch the videos.if not you should..they tear it up with the Garrett at pro

Jburkes80 03-21-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodbutcher (Post 2916598)
Hoover boys on YouTube really do great with that storm coil..not sure if you watch the videos.if not you should..they tear it up with the Garrett at pro

I've seen almost every video ! I know Kurt used the Storm for a long time and loved it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

MrLostAndFound 06-17-2019 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markinswpa (Post 2916530)
i have one for my at pro. They are great, goes deep. I was digging fired 22 lead and 3/16 washers at 11-12 inches. You will dig more for sure. Hh mark

😁

campnagle 06-17-2019 12:08 PM

I have the 5x8 and love that thing but am a little worried about depth loss. Thinking about a nel hunter

MrLostAndFound 06-23-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campnagle (Post 3118650)
I have the 5x8 and love that thing but am a little worried about depth loss. Thinking about a nel hunter


I am feeling the same way. I only have the 5x8 i really want another 5"

campnagle 06-24-2019 08:37 AM

My concern is the weight.
The balance with just the 5 x 8 was so bad I went with a straight shaft.
It is useable now with minimal comfort but add the weight of a hunter coil I don't think it would be.
So now I use my f70 when a bigger footprint is needed and use the atp for surgical work.
I can hike and swing both for hours now the way I have them set up.

MrLostAndFound 06-24-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campnagle (Post 3120997)
My concern is the weight.
The balance with just the 5 x 8 was so bad I went with a straight shaft.
It is useable now with minimal comfort but add the weight of a hunter coil I don't think it would be.
So now I use my f70 when a bigger footprint is needed and use the atp for surgical work.
I can hike and swing both for hours now the way I have them set up.


I have never thought the ATP with 5x8 was heavy. To me it seems very light weight. Maybe if I tried a few other lighter detectors then I would have a different feeling but I am 6' tall and pull tap proof. I have no problem swinging the 5x8 for 10 hours plus none stop. The only thing that hurts is my fingers the next day. They get very stiff kinda like shooters finger. I would be willing to use a bigger coil I can only swing for 5 hours if I can clear twice the area in half the time. Just my 2 cents. Happy Hunting and Gold Luck.

campnagle 06-24-2019 05:06 PM

Not the weight, it's the balance to me. The stock shaft is small and the arm cuff is to close to my wrist, not back by my elbow where it needs to be.
I found a old thread that a member here made a extension called a " Garrett gizmo" and a video that showed the problem of the short cuff placement.
I tried to get one but the thread was several years old so I got an Anderson straight shaft. I'm impressed and like the machine but again found the balance terrible for my use.

MrLostAndFound 06-24-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campnagle (Post 3121165)
Not the weight, it's the balance to me. The stock shaft is small and the arm cuff is to close to my wrist, not back by my elbow where it needs to be.
I found a old thread that a member here made a extension called a " Garrett gizmo" and a video that showed the problem of the short cuff placement.
I tried to get one but the thread was several years old so I got an Anderson straight shaft. I'm impressed and like the machine but again found the balance terrible for my use.


I should be getting a new detector here in a few weeks. I wonder if I will feel a big change then. My biggest complaint would have to be the grip. I have a big hand and can not really grip the little thingi find myself trying to hold it with my bottom 3 fingers and using the top two to sway the housing. Not sure if that makes sense but it works for me. Even after I get the new detector I plan to finish building the at out with a new coil and straight shaft and a sticker job. It was a blessing for me to get this unit but I feel I have out grown it on a few levels. Still a great unit that will find things over and over again. It paid for itself in the first 15 days.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.