Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   How to Use Your Metal Detector (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   VX3 acting Strange (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=255187)

daddyflea 12-22-2017 10:09 PM

VX3 acting Strange
 
Just switched my VX3 from Coins to Coin & Jewelry. I gained 4" at least of depth on a Nickle. I wrote down the settings and applied them all to Coin and everything is still the same no depth on Nickle at all. Switched back to Coins and Jewelry and it comes back. Same Coil same Sensitivity 3 Freq everything I can find is the same except the program name. Why is this?

tnsharpshooter 12-22-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyflea (Post 2868613)
Just switched my VX3 from Coins to Coin & Jewelry. I gained 4" at least of depth on a Nickle. I wrote down the settings and applied them all to Coin and everything is still the same no depth on Nickle at all. Switched back to Coins and Jewelry and it comes back. Same Coil same Sensitivity 3 Freq everything I can find is the same except the program name. Why is this?

I notice the RX gain is different between the 2 factory programs is the Rx gain level.
There are some disc settings different as well.
I would try to reset the detector and try again.
Setting Rx gain in both programs to same level, try 6

See page 86 in this link for comparison settings between the 2 factory programs.
https://www.whiteselectronics.com/wp...ion_manual.pdf

And I am assuming you had same GB setting used.

Do airtest comparison!!!!
See if it is different.

daddyflea 12-22-2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 2868620)
I notice the RX gain is different between the 2 factory programs is the Rx gain level.
There are some disc settings different as well.
I would try to reset the detector and try again.
Setting Rx gain in both programs to same level, try 6

See page 86 in this link for comparison settings between the 2 factory programs.
https://www.whiteselectronics.com/wp...ion_manual.pdf

And I am assuming you had same GB setting used.

Do airtest comparison!!!!
See if it is different.

That is how I discovered the difference. I made sure all the settings were the same but still get way more depth in the Coin & Jewelry Program. I guess there is no problem just run Coin & Jewelry. I did notice turning on the Tone ID seemed to slow down the detector just a little especially when Modulation was activated.

Now I need to try Deep Silver in 3 Frequency.

tnsharpshooter 12-22-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyflea (Post 2868635)
That is how I discovered the difference. I made sure all the settings were the same but still get way more depth in the Coin & Jewelry Program. I guess there is no problem just run Coin & Jewelry. I did notice turning on the Tone ID seemed to slow down the detector just a little especially when Modulation was activated.

I wouldn't say there is no problem.

With exact same settings how do air test differences compare (locked tracking)?
If different something seems wrong to me.

Btw I have V3i experience.
Vx3 obviously very similar.

Does raising Rx gain,,gain depth in coin program??

I mean really the only difference between the program's ideally besides the slight difference in Rx gain is the coin and jewelry disc setting to let lower conductive targets through-gold, pewter, etc.

Have you tried the hi pro or another program with exact same settings to see what happens?

daddyflea 12-22-2017 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 2868637)
I wouldn't say there is no problem.

With exact same settings how do air test differences compare (locked tracking)?
If different something seems wrong to me.

Btw I have V3i experience.
Vx3 obviously very similar.

Does raising Rx gain,,gain depth in coin program??

Did not try that yet but I did make certain the setting was the same in each program.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 2868637)
I mean really the only difference between the program's ideally besides the slight difference in Rx gain is the coin and jewelry disc setting to let lower conductive targets through-gold, pewter, etc.

Have you tried the hi pro or another program with exact same settings to see what happens?


Big Treble 12-22-2017 11:10 PM

I haven't used the Vx3, but I would have to believe it's a programming issue, there have to be a setting that's different.

On the V3i, there are many what I'd call behind the scenes settings, that are not listed in the programs overview.

daddyflea 12-22-2017 11:18 PM

Just tried measuring and there seemed to be a 3 inch difference from RX 1 to RX 14.

More than likely I need to get outside to really evaluate this but I noticed yesterday hunting in the Coin mode I got very little depth.

tnsharpshooter 12-22-2017 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Treble (Post 2868643)
I haven't used the Vx3, but I would have to believe it's a programming issue, there have to be a setting that's different.

On the V3i, there are many what I'd call behind the scenes settings, that are not listed in the programs overview.

Right on Big Treble.

I don't even know for example, does the vx3 have the intensity vs consistency setting?

Guess I could look in the link above and see.

Big Treble 12-23-2017 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter (Post 2868648)
Right on Big Treble.

I don't even know for example, does the vx3 have the intensity vs consistency setting?

Guess I could look in the link above and see.

i've read that it doesn't, but there is a "Normalized" function I believe that may be similar.

I've built a 3 ring binder with downloads which predominantly deal with the V3i, and almost hate to confuse myself with more V3x down loads, :lol: but the "Book of Jack" does have some Vx3 info in it.

I know the coins mode on my machine appears to only use 22.5. Also check the Band

Daddyflea, I assume this is during an air test? Was your machine used? Is there an indicator whether the stock programs were modified?

daddyflea 12-23-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Treble (Post 2868706)
i've read that it doesn't, but there is a "Normalized" function I believe that may be similar.

I've built a 3 ring binder with downloads which predominantly deal with the V3i, and almost hate to confuse myself with more V3x down loads, :lol: but the "Book of Jack" does have some Vx3 info in it.

I know the coins mode on my machine appears to only use 22.5. Also check the Band

Daddyflea, I assume this is during an air test? Was your machine used? Is there an indicator whether the stock programs were modified?

No my Machine was New. I did a Master Reset on it this Morning and this seemed to make it worse. Coin & Jewelry seems to work great. Coin only has just a few inches maybe 4 on a Nickle. Coin & Jewelry gets around 8"

Big Treble 12-23-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyflea (Post 2868741)
No my Machine was New. I did a Master Reset on it this Morning and this seemed to make it worse. Coin & Jewelry seems to work great. Coin only has just a few inches maybe 4 on a Nickle. Coin & Jewelry gets around 8"

Hmmmm, I think I would defer to fox. He and/or rchalker should be able to guide you.

daddyflea 12-23-2017 09:21 AM

Thanks I wrote Whites this morning. Having a real run at bad luck. My first Detector arrived broken, replaced it with this one, and now my TRX is Falsing something terrible. Just bad luck. By far not my first Whites product but my first time having problems.

Trashfinder 12-24-2017 08:21 AM

If you are running the 10 in dd coil get it off and get a different coil on it. I sold my first two because of this, then make sure after you GB that you lock the autotrac feature. Just remember to re balance every so often and lock it. The v is a very sensitive machine i have dug bullets at 10 + inches with the detech 4.5 x 7 coil. Also what you think is a simple change on a setting can take it from hero to zero in a blink of an eye. Whites 5.3 coil is good too still get great depth in my soil with it. I prefer the 950 coil for total stability. The ultimate 13 in coil that was made for the v machines is very stable for a big coil. You should also use the coil check feature to see if you percents are bad and you can get a better idea of your coil and how much gain you can run. The only coil i have ever had that i could run full gain on was the ultimate coil.

daddyflea 12-24-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trashfinder (Post 2869194)
If you are running the 10 in dd coil get it off and get a different coil on it. I sold my first two because of this, then make sure after you GB that you lock the autotrac feature. Just remember to re balance every so often and lock it. The v is a very sensitive machine i have dug bullets at 10 + inches with the detech 4.5 x 7 coil. Also what you think is a simple change on a setting can take it from hero to zero in a blink of an eye. Whites 5.3 coil is good too still get great depth in my soil with it. I prefer the 950 coil for total stability. The ultimate 13 in coil that was made for the v machines is very stable for a big coil. You should also use the coil check feature to see if you percents are bad and you can get a better idea of your coil and how much gain you can run. The only coil i have ever had that i could run full gain on was the ultimate coil.

Funny you say that both my Coils will take 15 Gain. That is in the air. What do you run on Recovery Delay?

daddyflea 12-24-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trashfinder (Post 2869194)
If you are running the 10 in dd coil get it off and get a different coil on it. I sold my first two because of this, then make sure after you GB that you lock the autotrac feature. Just remember to re balance every so often and lock it. The v is a very sensitive machine i have dug bullets at 10 + inches with the detech 4.5 x 7 coil. Also what you think is a simple change on a setting can take it from hero to zero in a blink of an eye. Whites 5.3 coil is good too still get great depth in my soil with it. I prefer the 950 coil for total stability. The ultimate 13 in coil that was made for the v machines is very stable for a big coil. You should also use the coil check feature to see if you percents are bad and you can get a better idea of your coil and how much gain you can run. The only coil i have ever had that i could run full gain on was the ultimate coil.


Also please explain the percents. I think it is under ground tracking, Problem I see is finding a clean place to test it.

tnsharpshooter 12-24-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyflea (Post 2869370)
Also please explain the percents. I think it is under ground tracking, Problem I see is finding a clean place to test it.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1648598

Btw, if my memory serves me correctly.
Initally with V3 series release, manufacturer stated " good coil" could handle max Rx gain-15 and tx boost on, no overload.
Then later changed this "good coil" test to being to Rx gain to 15 and no overload. If coils failed with Max Rx gain with txt boost on,,,considered a "pass".

Also I had a 10x12 sef coil (older black one non v rated) that would indeed pass the test of Rx gain set to 15 tx boost ON. Not all sef black coils would stand up to this test.
I had a very good one.
But disclaimer here.
My Sef coil skewed 22.5khz reported data.
Meaning it read higher than normal.

Forgot to say, I have seen it posted in places by users of V3 series.
If you can keep noise percentage at 40% or less, should have some good performance.

When I had my unit, didn't do a lot of tests comparing while over deeper targets.

Jason in Enid 12-24-2017 02:59 PM

You say everything is the same, but what about frequency? Does the jewelry mode change anything with the frequencies it selects? It would be normal for a higher freq to make a nickel more responsive than a low freq for silver coins.

Martin_V3i 12-24-2017 03:57 PM

I have to state that I have seen this oddity between program settings as well. The Relic prog has always worked the best of all factories, so I have emulated every setting in Relic...into C&J. I never ever replicated the same great integrity in CJ after going through every setting I could find. The V3i has it's own mind at times.

daddyflea 12-25-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason in Enid (Post 2869421)
You say everything is the same, but what about frequency? Does the jewelry mode change anything with the frequencies it selects? It would be normal for a higher freq to make a nickel more responsive than a low freq for silver coins.

No C&J uses the same 3 Freq setup. I did a Restore and a Master Reset same thing.

IDXMonster 12-25-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Treble (Post 2868706)
i've read that it doesn't, but there is a "Normalized" function I believe that may be similar.

I've built a 3 ring binder with downloads which predominantly deal with the V3i, and almost hate to confuse myself with more V3x down loads, :lol: but the "Book of Jack" does have some Vx3 info in it.

I know the coins mode on my machine appears to only use 22.5. Also check the Band

Daddyflea, I assume this is during an air test? Was your machine used? Is there an indicator whether the stock programs were modified?

Craig,if your Coins mode is only using 22.5 in the TX itís not going to do as well on high conductors...you sure about that or am I misunderstanding?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.