Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1916D Merc at a pounded park! (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248546)

gseuser 06-10-2017 02:37 AM

1916D Merc at a pounded park!

6 Attachment(s)
Tonight I wanted to get out so I went to a park that has produced for me and some other hunters in the past. Well I park my car get out and throw on the big ol NEL Storm on the AT Pro and walk onto the area. Within a minute Im getting a deep repeatable on the Pro coming up shaky 83-87 and its deep and quiet but I've been learning to dig the deep signals because its been rewarding me.

Pop a big deep plug and scan over it again, still quiet and still deeper. Pinpointer wasn't going off yet either. Dig another blade depth out and by now I'm a close foot and the pinpointer starts ringing and rattling. Out pops a silver dime which delighted me in itself. Pick it up and notice its a Merc. Not surprised because thats the 3rd merc I've heard of coming out of that place. So I lightly finger rub the date area and out pops 1916 at me. I get that feeling and say "oh boy 1916!!" Ive found one other 1916 before and it was an S.

Get out the spray bottle and pray and spray for a mint. There it is....D mint mark. I went numb and stared at the sky then the coin about 10 times. I couldn't even believe what I was holding. Im a big guy but I probably coulda done a cheerleading backflip at that point in time. I can't top this anytime soon. This week has been unbelievable, i find a Seated Quarter earlier in the week and didn't think it was getting topped for years and just a few days later here it gets topped.

I think ill get it graded professionally. Its in really good shape for being as deep as it was. Thank you all for looking and reading this. GL&HH to all of you! Remember to dig deep!

ohiochris 06-10-2017 04:01 AM

Awesome find !!!!

Definitely worth getting it graded. But even in poor condition their value is approaching $1000 from what I read , if you find the right buyer. Most of us will hunt all our lives and not find anything that valuable. If I found one I think I would see a new detector in my near future..............

remmy 06-10-2017 05:59 AM

wow! Amazing find, congrats!

Mr. Digger 06-10-2017 07:44 AM

Major congrats. And in great shape too! Awesome.

jwp1964 06-10-2017 07:53 AM

Holy !!!!! Great find and in amazing shape! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ks coyote 06-10-2017 09:15 AM

An inspiration to all of us that coins like that can still be found. Congrats on a rare and valuable find.

Mud-puppy 06-10-2017 09:21 AM

Congratulations Man! Please keep us in the loop as to what becomes of this Outstanding find! I went up and told the Wife about what you just found! :laughing: I wonder what that will grade and what it could be worth out there? It looks to be in pretty decent shape!

AIRFORCEMIKE 06-10-2017 10:18 AM

wow and that one is a beauty!!! super congrats my friend.

Dflan83 06-10-2017 05:15 PM

Beautiful coin hard to to that

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

beastdig 06-11-2017 01:16 AM

That's an eye popper. Not too many early mercs come out that nice let alone a 16 D. :shock:

X-Terra70 06-12-2017 03:08 AM

A place is never hunted out! Congrats on the great find :)

LeGaCyGiAnT124 06-12-2017 10:35 AM

Congratulations!!! This is proof that nothing is ever hunted out, and persistence pays off. Big hats off to you my friend!

Junkminer 06-12-2017 03:29 PM

He shoots, he scores!!! What a stellar dream find! Keep us posted what you do with it. Congrats, she's a beaut!!

Chefjuan 06-12-2017 08:55 PM

Wow.... just wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeemang 06-14-2017 01:20 AM

Amazing find man, i signed in just to comment on this, wow and CONGRATS!

gseuser 06-14-2017 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeemang (Post 2792684)
Amazing find man, i signed in just to comment on this, wow and CONGRATS!

Thank you very much! I couldn't believe it and still can't.

choppadude 06-14-2017 09:17 AM

Congrats on a once in a lifetime find! That is the type of find that keeps us all going back out there!

Gaspipe 06-17-2017 04:44 PM

Hell of a find. I would say it will grade very fine or better. The reverse is nicer than the obverse but for a dug coin it's nice for sure. Don't fool with it or rub it. I never say this and usually think professionally grading dug coins is a waste of money as they are usually in poor shape ; rare or not and I'm my opinion it's not worth it. Problem along with a low grade they are usually labeled " Enviromental Damage". I'd take it to a reputable dealer and get their opinion on grading. You have a coin that's worth a few thousand wholesale and maybe more at auction.Again grade is everything for value. Congrats on a nice save.

gseuser 06-17-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaspipe (Post 2793943)
Hell of a find. I would say it will grade very fine or better. The reverse is nicer than the obverse but for a dug coin it's nice for sure. Don't fool with it or rub it. I never say this and usually think professionally grading dug coins is a waste of money as they are usually in poor shape ; rare or not and I'm my opinion it's not worth it. Problem along with a low grade they are usually labeled " Enviromental Damage". I'd take it to a reputable dealer and get their opinion on grading. You have a coin that's worth a few thousand wholesale and maybe more at auction.Again grade is everything for value. Congrats on a nice save.

Thank you very much! I've taken it to 3 dealers and all say send it off to get graded and authenticated. It will be worth more and people will be more apt to buy it because it's in a holder and guaranteed real. The only thing I have in it is time and energy so 40 bucks to send it off doesn't bother me at all. Thank you for looking at this!

milco 06-24-2017 02:47 PM

Wow! That's in great shape, can't wait hear what they grade it as. Great find!