Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   Research and Getting Permission (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Writing letters requesting permission (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=286742)

Kale1278 11-24-2020 10:32 AM

Writing letters requesting permission
 
Anyone have any luck writing letters requesting permission? I have sent out 25 +/- hand written letters along with a small permission slip with and return envelope addressed and stamped. It's been about a month since I mailed the first one, but I still have yet to get anything back.

Anyone have luck with this? What other methods are working for you? I tries message vis social media too. I had one respond with a NO, but otherwise no other responses.

Ideas?

rx8driver 11-24-2020 01:48 PM

Much more luck knock and face to face smile!

amc rulz 11-24-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale1278 (Post 3270033)
Anyone have any luck writing letters requesting permission? I have sent out 25 +/- hand written letters along with a small permission slip with and return envelope addressed and stamped. It's been about a month since I mailed the first one, but I still have yet to get anything back.

Anyone have luck with this? What other methods are working for you? I tries message vis social media too. I had one respond with a NO, but otherwise no other responses.

Ideas?

If you were to join your local historical group you might increase your luck having that credential under your belt.

Kale1278 11-24-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc rulz (Post 3270086)
If you were to join your local historical group you might increase your luck having that credential under your belt.

Good idea, thank you!

imukdiver 11-24-2020 09:45 PM

You gotta put yourself in the home owners shoes. Say you get a letter in the mail from somebody you don't know. Even if you open it and read it are you gonna respond ? Most likely you'll just throw it in the trash and move on with your life.
You will ALWAYS do better face to face.

kweis 11-24-2020 09:54 PM

I've written several letters this year. Most all responded back by email or called. All were polite no's save for one which was an existing acquaintance. Main reasons for the no's were liabilities it seems. My asking in person or by phone is about 80% positive though. Obviously the covid virus isn't helping things out here with the private permissions. My advice is to seize the moment when you meet someone who has an old property. Try neighbors from those permissions gained.

Bill_Ace_350 11-25-2020 06:55 AM

I think face to face is the way to go, if possible.

Kale1278 11-25-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imukdiver (Post 3270192)
You gotta put yourself in the home owners shoes. Say you get a letter in the mail from somebody you don't know. Even if you open it and read it are you gonna respond ? Most likely you'll just throw it in the trash and move on with your life.
You will ALWAYS do better face to face.

Good Thought, I completely agree. Most, but not all, of the letters I have sent were in cases where the owner does not live on the property (vacant or rental) or its owned by a commercial company. I reckon I will go door knocking on Saturday. Wish me luck!

Kale1278 11-25-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kweis (Post 3270196)
I've written several letters this year. Most all responded back by email or called. All were polite no's save for one which was an existing acquaintance. Main reasons for the no's were liabilities it seems. My asking in person or by phone is about 80% positive though. Obviously the covid virus isn't helping things out here with the private permissions. My advice is to seize the moment when you meet someone who has an old property. Try neighbors from those permissions gained.

I may try the phone call for please where the property is a vacant lot, or commercial. Otherwise, I guess I need to go to the door. Maybe instead for taking 3 -5 steps back i will completely remove myself from the porch, maybe have a mask on that is pulled down a bit so they can see my face...haha.

kweis 11-25-2020 09:18 AM

Just to add that most of the farms around here now are in the name of a corporate body, especially if the property is being rented out. Any property here in an inc or llc are usually automatic no's. Everybody is scared of being sued or you will damage their property somehow albeit unintentionally. Not good.

ToySoldier 11-25-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale1278 (Post 3270033)
Anyone have any luck writing letters requesting permission? I have sent out 25 +/- hand written letters along with a small permission slip with and return envelope addressed and stamped. It's been about a month since I mailed the first one, but I still have yet to get anything back.

Anyone have luck with this? What other methods are working for you? I tries message vis social media too. I had one respond with a NO, but otherwise no other responses.

Ideas?

I only do it if there's no way to introduce myself face to face. Yes, I have had owners email and call me back and received permission. A few a year. It's a lot of effort and has a lower success rate than face to face. As others have said, some people will immediately toss it. But, for those who don't, the content of the letter can really make the difference and you hope you luck out by saying the right things to the right person.

CTpilgrim 11-25-2020 11:26 PM

I agree that face to face is the best way to get permissions, although COVID has made it more difficult. Also I tell homeowners that I will show them anything I find and they are welcome to have anything they want( what you show them is up to you). Iíve found that most people that live in an old house are very curious about whatís in the ground so they are likely to say yes when you strike up a conversation with them. Iíve given a lot of stuff away but Iíve found some people are very intrigued by what you find and donít want anything. Also by getting one good permission and forming a good rapport with the owner a lot of times leads to more permissions with the neighbors. Ditch the letters and go face to face. Youíd be surprised how many people are as enthusiastic as you are about history. And if they arenít, move on to the next. Good luck out there

randy 11-26-2020 06:23 AM

It is harder to say no to a person standing right there, than it is to a letter.

If I got a letter from someone claiming to be a photographer from the historical society, who wanted to photograph my house, I would toss it. Just think of the scam possibilities if nothing else. However, if someone knocked on my door carrying cameras and seemed credibly interested in history and convinced me they were with the historical society, I would say no problem.

Tom_in_CA 11-27-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rx8driver (Post 3270061)
Much more luck knock and face to face smile!

Quote:

Originally Posted by imukdiver (Post 3270192)
You gotta put yourself in the home owners shoes. Say you get a letter in the mail from somebody you don't know. Even if you open it and read it are you gonna respond ? Most likely you'll just throw it in the trash and move on with your life.
You will ALWAYS do better face to face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 (Post 3270232)
I think face to face is the way to go, if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy (Post 3270475)
It is harder to say no to a person standing right there, than it is to a letter....

Good answers. Because let's be honest fellows : What do YOU do with junk mail from a total stranger ?? You throw it away, right ? So too will your letter end up in their trash can.



---------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kweis (Post 3270196)
..... Main reasons for the no's were liabilities it seems...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kweis (Post 3270253)
..... Everybody is scared of being .....

These are just "polite ways to say 'no' to you". Because even if you whip out a liability insurance policy that you keep on your own self, they will STILL say "no". The truth is, they just don't want to be bothered. And this line is just a polite way to say 'bug off'.

----------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc rulz (Post 3270086)
If you were to join your local historical group you might increase your luck having that credential under your belt.

This has been my best tactic. It opens up a lot of doors, and gives a sense of credibility, purpose, etc.... Not to mention name-dropping, back-room archives to exploit in research, etc.... And it's kind of fun to be civically involved, lead tours, man a desk for 6 hrs. per month, etc.....

Beachhunter 11-28-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA (Post 3270668)
This has been my best tactic. It opens up a lot of doors, and gives a sense of credibility, purpose, etc.... Not to mention name-dropping, back-room archives to exploit in research, etc.... And it's kind of fun to be civically involved, lead tours, man a desk for 6 hrs. per month, etc.....

This^

Kale1278 12-10-2020 09:48 AM

update.... Tried a new approach, a thank you card (well postcard) . I sent 6 out and with in 10 day had 3 calls granting me permission. I only send 5 cards out. Once this Covid !!!! is better I will try the door knocking. I have met two property owners and it seems most people are pretty interested in what we are finding. Both that I have met don't know the neighbors, as they are investors, but maybe one day I can get a warm referral.

randy 12-11-2020 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale1278 (Post 3273736)
Both that I have met don't know the neighbors, as they are investors, but maybe one day I can get a warm referral.

This reminds me of a silly story that has happened twice. I'm detecting a permission site (owner occupied single family home in a neighborhood), and a neighbor comes over and gives me attitude.

"Do you have permission to be there?"

"No, I just randomly drive around and trespass on people's lawns and dig gopher holes".

You never know who you will meet out there.

I've never actually gotten a neighbor referral, but I tend to stick to the more isolated farmhouses that are old and not in neighborhoods. But, there are some old neighborhoods around here; I've done a bit of it but might be worth more effort (one of the stories above was from a 50s neighborhood, which normally I would not do, but I did find 4 silvers there).

Good luck in any case. I too have not done any door knocking since the virus.

Bill - De 01-17-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA (Post 3270668)
Good answers. Because let's be honest fellows : What do YOU do with junk mail from a total stranger ?? You throw it away, right ? So too will your letter end up in their trash can.



---------------------





These are just "polite ways to say 'no' to you". Because even if you whip out a liability insurance policy that you keep on your own self, they will STILL say "no". The truth is, they just don't want to be bothered. And this line is just a polite way to say 'bug off'.

----------------



This has been my best tactic. It opens up a lot of doors, and gives a sense of credibility, purpose, etc.... Not to mention name-dropping, back-room archives to exploit in research, etc.... And it's kind of fun to be civically involved, lead tours, man a desk for 6 hrs. per month, etc.....

Couldn't agree more. ^^^

Huckleberry 02-14-2021 04:42 PM

I haven't tried the snail mail approach, and have only tried the email approach on two occasions last year (due to the controlyavirus). Both were schools. One was a positive response (a public school), and the other email was never answered (private school). And, yea, I know that public schools are "public" property, but with everything going on with the schools, I just feel that getting the OK to hunt is a good idea. JMHO

Tom_in_CA 02-14-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckleberry (Post 3291082)
.... And, yea, I know that public schools are "public" property, but with everything going on with the schools, I just feel that getting the OK to hunt is a good idea. JMHO

You were playing Russian Roulette with that. Because, let's just say someone, who answered your email, had whimsically decided "no". Then guess what happens ? : That same desk-jockey (who perhaps never gave the matter a moment's thought prior to that), guess what will happen the NEXT time he happens to pass by the yard , and see another md'r ? He'll remember the earlier inquiry and think "Aha! there's one of *them*". And start booting others. :worms:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.